Pleading down inspection violation?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by americantrucker89, Mar 4, 2021.

1. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    You do realize the trooper has to sign off on the plea. I tried to get a moving violation in nj to a non moving violation. The judge was willing to work with me but the prosecutor was not having it.

I hope it works out for you. I'm figuring the trooper may put a note in his file about you wanting a ticket instead of a warning. He may not agree with you trying to plead it down because he was going to give you a warning.

Did he write up a inspection report about you blowing the scale? It happened to me in nj I just took the warning & kept it moving no big deal was not worried about csa points it came off in 3 years. It didn't affect my license or job beep beep

tlalokay Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Yes, you can plead it down. I had a red light violation(it was yellow)Dismiss. I met up with the officer before the court hearing in the morning and asked if he could changed the violation to a non moving. He said which violation code do you want me to change it to, I told him to which one and said his never heard of it. He said he’ll figured something out when they call your name in court. So when the judge called my name, judge said “Dismiss”... I replied thank you and the cop waved at me as I walked out of court.

BTW; a parking violation in a city freeways is a 1 1/2 point. At least in L.A. county.

4. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    1 point in Madison Ga. at least 1 time. If parking is full do not park off the side of the ramp. The Judge did not back down. Point plus cash.

5. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    .....wut? just....why?

Badmon, tlalokay and GreenPete359 Thank this.
  6. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    You realize that pleading down a ticket and the CSA points system are two very different animals?
    You can totally get the judge to throw your ticket out and then the CSA Gods can say “ I don’t think so” and award you all the points of the violation to your CSA score.
    Good luck with a dataQ challenge if you actually did the crime no matter what the judge did with the ticket.

ibcalm19 Thanks this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Actually no they cannot. They've been sued and lost over this. If there is a citation (good job on that, btw) the inspection must match. So if the citation was plead down then a DataQ request to remove the CSA violation is automatically granted.

Cattleman84 and americantrucker89 Thank this.
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Actually asking for a citation can be better for you if you plan on fighting it. Courts tend to care more about the money than the driving record, so if the citation, and thus the violation is plead down to something that CSA doesn't track, the violation can be removed from one's record.

americantrucker89 Thanks this.
  9. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I disagree I have seen it done before with a failed dataQ
    The response was just because a DA let the violation be pled down for motor vehicle points and monetary reasons it did not negate the fact that the original safety violation occurred.
    Please post the case so I can see it as I have never seen this before?

10. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    That makes more sense to my brain. I was trying to parse how that could be a positive and wasnt aware of that. Thanks for the explination.

americantrucker89 Thanks this.
  11. americantrucker89

americantrucker89 Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2018
    Marion, IA
    Yup for those who don’t know: warnings are actually worse than tickets are as you get the points regardless and have no way of contesting them. It’s kind of unfortunate because most troopers think they’re doing us a favor by writing us a warning and in reality it does the exact opposite

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.