please help (Freightliner Onguard)

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by ron45, Jun 7, 2016.

1. ron45

ron45 Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2015
    hi guys..i need some help from you and i will really appreciate it..i bought a freight liner cascadia 2009 a couple months ago and it has this system on the dash called ONGUARD SHACK wich is a collision safety system...its like a adaptive cruise control so every time when u set the cruise control on 65 lets say if a car gets in front of you suddenly the truck slows down and takes the speed down or if a car passes me on the left lane its slows down the truck..it is very annoying and on top of this sometimes the truck won't start for hours..i took the truck to a mechanic and everything looks good but in my opinion it is connected to this system..does anybody can help me with an advice or some of you experienced the same problem?..how can be shut down or cut or something?..pls help guys..thx a lot and god bless you all..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    Welcome to the modern world of electronics. I wish I could help you, but I can't. Have heard from several UPS drivers who voice the same complaints and say that these things will drive you "nuts". Haven't heard about "the truck won't start for hours", that is a new one.

4. Animosus

Animosus Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    You can disable adaptive cruise in the cpc parameters and then un plug your onguard system.

ron45 Thanks this.
  5. 48stater

48stater Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2012
    We just ran a similar one through the shop, though it didn't have the non-starting issue. The shop manager told me he replaced the throttle position sensor (it's tied in with the cruise and Onguard) and straightened the radar sending unit, it had been bumped and the mounting bracket was crooked. Good luck.

ron45 Thanks this.
  6. Mindsoul

Mindsoul Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Chicago Il
    Most likely a bad starter. I had a similar incident and I swore it was due to on guard, they were not related though

ron45 Thanks this.
  7. BrentP

BrentP Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Lafayette
    Get it to a Freightliner service point and you can get the parameter disabled. They will more than likely have to remove the associated Smart Switch parameter and update the cruise control values so there's no conflicting info being passed. Also, for your intermittent starting issue, are you sure the OnGuard system is to blame? Cascadia's have been known to have unexplained starting / shutdown issues that are intermittent and hard to duplicate in the shop.

ron45 Thanks this.
  8. ron45

ron45 Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2015
    i fixed the problem..it took less than 10 min..if any of you need help with this pls contact me here..thx for your help guys and god bless you all..

Nedzad1225, mxpx148 and jsnell Thank this.
  9. Duvallfon

Duvallfon Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Help me how do I do it

10. Duvallfon

Duvallfon Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Great how can I fix it. Plz help

11. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Sounds like it would take up alot of room in the cab. Someone gets paid to sit in it? Must be a dead man switch in there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.