please help. loud grinding noise going down the road

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by welttruck, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Power divider or pilot bearing

Roborope Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DechkoTzar

DechkoTzar Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2015
    I get the grinding noise in certain gears, mostly 6, 8 and 10th (10 speed manual eaton transmission) when going UP the hill. The Volvo dealership in Des Plaines, IL said that it was a synchro and they have changed it but the noise is still there.

I have noticed that the driveline shaft is shaking during the uphill driving. Any thoughts?

4. Marsh92

Marsh92 Bobtail Member

Mar 16, 2016
    yea it's your ride height guaranteed..... back is probably lower than factory setting... trust me.

6wheeler Thanks this.
  5. meho salic

meho salic Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2016
    I'm having the same issues. Had my driveline shaft shaking got it replaced not shaking anymore. Also, heard it scraping noise. How could I check the height to make it factory setting? Also, what do I need to replace?

6. Mikipatiki

Mikipatiki Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2016
    [GALLERY=][GALLERY=][GALLERY=][/GALLERY][/GALLERY][/GALLERY]
    I have internationl prostar 2009, similar noise was appearing on my truck, my was when I'm driving over 50-65 mph but was appearing exactly when I was on flat surface or downhill most likely when I take of my feet of the accelerator will appear for 2-5 sec and was gone for 2-5 sec, if I was using the eng break while going downhill or flat surface will not appear the noice.... The problem was the airleavening valve of the airbag on the drive wheels, in my case the metal stick somehow come out or disconect from the airleavening valve which is mean that I was driving whit out air begs... Frind of mine told me; if the gear box and the shaft is not in right position or angel will start making this noise or grinding. What I have to to was only put back the metal stick to the airleavening valve.. Thanks to my frind I didn't have to towing my truck or bring to mechanical shop.

7. Sleepy5206

Sleepy5206 Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Hey did you ever find out what the grinding noise was?Mine doing the same thing. Please let me know.

8. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I had the same problem. Air level value was over inflating the airbags.

9. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    what I did on mine, was get a metal rod same thickness as original one from Menards, Home Depot...ect. And get 4 small hose clamps. Cut the original rod, and add a 1 foot section of new rod. Secure with 2 hose clamps on top, 2 on bottom. Now you have a slider bar and can adjust up or down as needed.

Singhfreightliner07 Thanks this.
  10. VolvoPower

VolvoPower Bobtail Member

May 16, 2018
    Did you find what the problem was?
    I have the same problem, only in 13 speed around 60-64 when i use just a lil bit of power on the fuel pedal
    I went underneath the truck and did not notice any leak from the transmition
    Yesterday i had problem with the air leveling valve and the airbags were deflated
    After i got it replaced i noticed just a lil bit of grinding with the valve replaced
    The noise was extremely loud when the valve went off and the airbags deflated, now its quieter but still is there

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  11. Arkansas

Arkansas Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    LA- Lower Arkansas
    Check your air bags

VolvoPower Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.