Please help me out with this one

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Buster, Jan 12, 2009.

1. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    You not only have the DOT watching you, but the law and dairy sanitation, i.e. milk inspectors, part of USDA and overlapping into food and drug.

I would pass on it if it was offered to me, but I really don't care for all of those proctologists in waiting that make up those agencies.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Sounds like a good gig! Not only do you get tanker experience, you get unbaffled tanker experience.

4. Buster

Buster Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Kingston NY
    They told me I would have to get some kind of certifacation due to the milk. They told me they would take care of it and it was no big deal.

5. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    "The nice people and trucks part is worth a little too."

don't make the mistake of assuming that just because it's a small company that the people are "nice." there are reasons that some companies don't grow.

but trust me, if you don't want the job, some "undocumented worker" (ie - mexican) will take it. and hey, why not, if they can do the job? or at least that's what some people would argue (they aren't the ones standing in the unemployment line.) and you can be SURE that our wages are going to continue to decline. I hate it for all the people who got laid off from the widget factory and thought they would go to trucking school for a month and get a nice laid back trucking job (it's just sitting and steering, right?) making $50-70k a year. isn't that what the ad in the paper or the recruiter told us?

6. IROCUBabe

IROCUBabe Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I say I would look for 15 because I DO have a years exp OTR

7. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    I would assume that to be a milk haulers license,...Not a big deal,..Deals with the proper handling and sanitation in the transportation process...

8. Buster

Buster Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Kingston NY
    Yes, thats it.

9. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    That's exactly right. You're going to get experience with real surge with the smooth bore tank. For starting out that's about average in pay even with common carrier gasoline haulers. I'd go for it because it will pay off in the long run. Besides hourly pay is 100% better than milage.

Big Don Thanks this.
  10. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    And milk is always going to have to be hauled. Can't lay cows of and cut production!:biggrin_25512:

11. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    No,..But when milk prices get to low I have known farmers to ship cows to slaughter so they didn't have to fed them,...

Last summer farmers were killing bull calves because it cost more to ship them than they were getting at auction,...And with low beef prices they were not gonna feed them...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.