Please Help - Truck won't start when hot!

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Abim, May 7, 2014.

1. Abim

Abim Bobtail Member

May 3, 2013
    I do hope I wouldn't be a bother to you all but I actually thought ask questions about my issues on here with high hopes that you all might be able to give me one or three pieces of advise.

My problem is this, I drive a 1989 peterbilt 377 with cummins N14 engine. She starts normally but if I put it off after driving a while, it won't start back immediately unless I allow it to cool for about 30 minutes. Big pain that is!!

I have changed the kick starter and 4 batteries with no difference, she still does same thing, it won't start when hot until I allow it to cool.

Any advice will be highly appreciated as I'm totally lost on this one.

Many thanks in for your replies.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    I don't know about an 89 model, but you may check if it has one your temperature switch........

4. rodknocker

rodknocker Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Southeast
    sounds like a relay switch is either bad or you have a short in your switch somewhere causing it to get warm. . If it cranks when hot but won't start it might be fuel filter related.

5. Abim

Abim Bobtail Member

May 3, 2013
    Many thanks for your suggestion. Can I ask please, where is the relay switch located? Also by "a short in my switch", which switch are you referring to? Sometimes when its hot and I try to start it before it cools down, the battery drags like they're weak and I end up still having to leave it to cool.

6. Abim

Abim Bobtail Member

May 3, 2013
    Many thanks. I haven't noticed a temp switch on her. If there's one, it should be located on the dash, right? What's the function if I may ask? I'll give it a check in the morning. Cheers.

7. RSQ20

RSQ20 Medium Load Member

If the starter is dragging when hot, best check the bushing (worn), commutator is binding...

Do a load test on the starter (amp draw)

.... Philip

8. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    Kick starter ? you talking about a motorcycle or a truck?:biggrin_2552:

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    You didn't specify if the engine turns over when trying to start. Thats an important piece of info.

If it doesnt turn over your starter is probably dying. Could be the solenoid on the starter too. Either way a new starter assembly is likely in your future.

If it does turn over then something electrical is heat soaking. Worst case the ecm. Best case the fuel solenoid. Less likely is the timing sensor.

10. 70s_driver

70s_driver Medium Load Member

May 4, 2014
    If you've changed the starter, you may have a compression problem? Maybe a cracked piston or something? Or either something in your timing?

11. Abim

Abim Bobtail Member

May 3, 2013
    Hi and thanks Philip. The starter is brand new, not up to 3 weeks old. Its the second starter I've put in the space of two months as I thought I had been sold a factory faulty starter. This means that I've had three different starter and problems still persists. It starts fine in the morning but after some driving and you put it off say in traffic, it wouldn't come back on until it cools for about 30 minutes. If I try to start it before it cools off, it drags like the batteries are weak and wouldn't roll the engine. When I allow it to cool, it fires away like nothing was ever wrong. And my batteries are new, just four months old. Thanks for your input.

Abim.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.