Please Help - Truck won't start when hot!

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Abim, May 7, 2014.

1. AsphaltNick

AsphaltNick Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Hate to deal up an old thread but did you ever get this problem solved I'm having the same issue on a 2007 with an isx in it I'm down to thinking it may be trying to lock up when you shut it down hot

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AsphaltNick

AsphaltNick Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2015
    HAte to drag up an old thread but did you ever solve this issue I'm down to thinking that this motor is trying to lock up when shut down hot

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Man u would need some big legs to kick start a truck lol

6. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    I didn't know the N-14 was available in 1989? Thought it was 1991 model year trucks

7. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    So I guess the OP is long gone but I am having the same issue as wel.
    My motor is the ISX (2006) and mine as always chugged a bit when starting. I can let it idle all day and don’t have any issues shutting it off and then starting right back up. I can even drive her for a quick 20 minute trip and no issues. This is a hobby truck for me so I don’t have the repeated issues but drove about 2 hours today and this is when the issue started. Pulled into a lot and idled for 5 minutes, the fan automatically kicked on and then I parked. Went to move another 5 feet because I didn’t like the way I was parked and she wouldn’t start. Motor turned over and it sounded like a battery issue, which I know it isn’t. Waited about 10 minutes and she turned over more than originally but still not enough to fire. Waited 30 minutes and it started right up.

8. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    I’m leaning towards a bad ground connection on the starter and that the heat is moving something creating a bad connection. My guess is that when it gets really really cold I might have the same issue just at a different time.
    Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

9. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    You are on the right track. My guess would be starter itself, but that is after load testing batteries and checking ALL connections at starter and frame.

10. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    But why would the starter only give me fits after being warming up?

11. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    My issues ended up being a bad nuetral wire connecting the bank of batteries

• Truckers Report Jobs