Please help - Volvo iShift, no throttle response

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by ielfarra, Feb 7, 2021.

1. ielfarra

ielfarra Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2017
    For about 2 months now I cannot figure out this issue. Took it to 3 shops they cannot figure the issue out as well. Transmission was rebuilt 2 years ago and has been amazing. No issues with engine or turbo.

Basically what happens i will be driving on the highway or come to a stop and out nowhere, I will lose throttle pedal response, no cruise control, no engine brakes, you can still hear the engine running but won’t be responding. Sometimes you hit the throttle pedal and the engine will rev and will stop reving, or it will rev up a couple hundreds RPMs or couple thousands or no response at all. I have to shut the truck off for 15-30 mins then it will be good to drive again.

This issue is very random, I can be driving for 3-4 hours no problems at all, then all of sudden I lose throttle response. Sometimes it happens after 40 mins of driving in the morning or after 2 hours of driving.

This issue started after my mechanic replaced my steering wheel tilt cable and after I put in some airline antifreeze in the red air line going to the trailer. Over the 2 months I used about 3 small bottles of airline antifreeze. A few days ago I constantly drain my tanks every time I stop , about 2-4 times a day and I notice lots of water/yellow moisture coming out. Issue is still present.

Some of the codes are

Transmission ÉCU - MID 130, PSID 204, FMI 8
    Transmission ÉCU, value too high, value too low, data erratic.
    Brake ÉCU - MID 136, SID 4, FMI 2

Sometimes this code would come on

Engine ÉCU - MID 128, SID 230, FMI 5

ABS & TCS Light only come on when it’s raining right snowing then goes away... these lights would come before this issue started.

Also only when E log is connected to the port I get these 2 codes, when E log is disconnected these codes go away,

Brake ÉCU - MID 136, SID 103, FMI 9
    Brake ÉCU - MID 136, SID 89, FMI 9

these 2 codes show active for steering angle position sensor and yaw rate sensor but we checked these and their both fine.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ielfarra

ielfarra Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Some people saw it’s the ribbon harness in the transmission? Can I replace this harness without removing the transmission?

4. thetransporter123

thetransporter123 Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2013
    MID 130 PSID 204 Communication Interference, Data Link, Brake Control Module Type of fault: FMI Description: Fault Condition: Possible Symptoms: Possible Cause: FMI 8 • Abnormal frequency, pulse width, or period • This FMI shall be set if the wheel speeds from the Brake ECM (MID 136) are not correct. • Yellow lamp is sent • Slow gear changes • N/A FMI 9 • Abnormal update rate • This FMI shall be set if the message from the Brake ECM (MID 136) is not received • Yellow lamp is sent • Slow gear changes • N/A
    MID 136 SID 4 FMI 2

Wheel speed sensor, axle 2, right

Large clearance between the sensor and the gear; the gear is crooked or dirty. Check the gear, the clearance of the sensor (not more than 0.7 mm.), The play of the wheel bearing.

https://class8truckparts.com/media/file/Volvo_Truck_Transmission_MID_130-223_DTC_Guide.pdf

ielfarra Thanks this.
  5. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    this seems like something is going on with clutch system or cca sounds exactly like a clutch problem and ribon harness could not be replaced without removing trans and special tools so dont mess with it. if you want to get it fixed take atrip to chicago and i can fix for u.

ielfarra Thanks this.
  6. ielfarra

ielfarra Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Thanks for the reply. The truck drives perfectly fine once I start the day and only after a 2-3 hours of driving it will start to cut off for 10 seconds and go then repeat every 20-40 mins, once I shut off the truck for 30 mins it’s as if the problem never existed. Could it be a air issue somewhere ? Could a bad pressure control valve on the transmission tank cause this issue? The ishift is shifting perfect showing no issues and it was rebuilt 2 years ago and it had a new clutch actuator put in. I can fly through hills with this truck up, down, left, right with 80k lbs but this issue is very random. I noticed it only happens right below the 100PSI mark. I’m not noticing any large air leaks, I do hear a small air leak though somewhere

7. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Take to shop and have tech check the transmission harness J1939 data link pigtail where it plugs into the main harness. It will be on the driver side frame rail roughly under the driver seat area. Cut zip ties if you have to and follow this green/yellow shielded 2 wire harness. I will bet it is rubbing on frame rail when the air suspension changes levels. I have seen this a handful of times in my years with Volvo.

ielfarra Thanks this.
  8. ielfarra

ielfarra Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Ok will check and let you know thank you

9. Truckwork2461

Truckwork2461 Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2021
    It sounds like the throttle position sensor is shorting out resulting in the engine going into limp mode.

10. ielfarra

ielfarra Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2017
    But this happens while on cruise control as well? Would the sensor still be involved ?

11. Truckwork2461

Truckwork2461 Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2021
    Yes. If that’s not it I have seen an ishift with a gear selector issue that was resulting in the unit intermittently going into limp mode. The limp home button could be seen through ptt intermittently activating while driving down the road. The gear selector won’t throw a fault code to the ecu, and issue can be reset by shutting off the truck for a period of time and disconnecting the batteries. Have a tech Hook up ptt, perform input signals for gear selection, and monitor the system while driving.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.