PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by rhitrucking, Mar 28, 2019.

1. rhitrucking

rhitrucking Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    forgive my ignorance, as I am trying to learn, but fill me in on why this the answer. I see the big discrepancies, should they be closer in temp to each other or the exhaust gas temp? My regen temps appear good at 921 degrees.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Your on the low side if these are temps before or after DPF. Target temp for efficient conversion of soot to ash is around 1050*F. DPF inlet temps may be slightly lower than this and outlet may be slightly higher.

4. rhitrucking

Feb 7, 2017
    I was under the assumption, and I maybe wrong, that 2010+ emissions should be regenning between 850 and 950.

5. Newto Trucking

Newto Trucking Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    NE Illinois
    You’re correct at 950 dpf outlet temp 7th injector stops dosing fuel and cool down happens. Another thing that I experienced was when a technician reinstalled VGT actuator incorrectly one tooth of, the soot level was increasing just like you say to a 80% in 100miles or so, but with a Volvo software you can verify nozzle position to a turbo speed.

rhitrucking Thanks this.
  6. rhitrucking

Feb 7, 2017
    hmmm...this is interesting. I have not heard of this happening before. I had the egr cooler replaced and they removed the turbo, Does the VGT have to be removed from turbo prior to uninstalling the turbo? If thats the case, I think you may be on to something. I am putting a new dpf pressure sensor on tommorrow am. Its cheap and easy. I think I am gonna verify the VGT next. Thank you for this.

Newto Trucking Thanks this.
  7. Newto Trucking

Newto Trucking Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    NE Illinois
    Did you change that dpf pressure sensor?? How’s the truck doing now??

8. rhitrucking

Feb 7, 2017
    yes, I put in a new dpf pressure sensor. no change. did a forced regen, drove the truck for a couple hundred miles and a check engine light appeared. 2659 fmi 18. which is a low egr pressure. egr cooler is brand new in dec. and the egr pressure sensor was updated to new style in march

9. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    The egr venturi tube could clogged, cracked and you delta p gets bad readings, happens quite often, or bad harness. I have this photos on my phone, I opened one in my mad frustration, unsuccessfully trying to clean it . :) See how narrow the the reading vents are, about 4 mm, and it has two metal tubes inside sealed with rubber gaskets at each end they get fried by hot egr gases in time . I paid about 200-250$ for a new aftermarket venturi tube , easy to replace yourself , just remove sensor, few bolts and get new gaskets.
    venturi tube volvo D13

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  10. rhitrucking

Feb 7, 2017
    I have less than 1000 miles on a completely new Venturi update kit. This kit replaces all the tubing from the egr cooler and also updates the egr pressure sensor to the new style. I HIGHLY doubt the venturi is clogged. Now if it has a factory defect, like a crack that is a different story. I brought it to the Volvo shop who put the new egr cooler in and also the updated venturi kit and they hooked it to the laptop and all pressure readings were within spec. We drove it down the road with laptop and everything was good. We cleared the code. Will see if it comes back. I would think if there was a crack anywhere, the code would come back fairly quick. Bringing it back tommorrow after running it a bit so they can try diagnosing all the issues.

11. rhitrucking

Feb 7, 2017
    Here is the latest from dealer...

528-A 4/10/19 PUT TRUCK ON DYNO, RUN GUIDED DIAGNOSTICS FOR EGR FLOW LOW CODE. PRESSURE TEST INTAKE AND CHECK FOR EXHAUST LEAKS ALL OK. REMOVE TURBO RECIRCULATION VALVE AND CHECK FOR IT BEING STUCK OPENED OK REASSEMBLED. CHECK HARNESS FROM ECU TO EGR VALVE OK. OHM EGR VALVE 4 OHMS IN SPEC OK. REMOVE EGR DIFF SENSOR AND CHECK FOR PLUGGED TUBES OK CLEANED AND REASSEMBLED. HOOK UP EGR VALVE TESTER AND RUN ENGINE AT HIGH RPMS OPEN VALVE AND CHECK MASS FLOW DIFF PRESSURE AND EGR TEMP ALL RATIONAL. END OF TROUBLE SHOOTING WITH NO FAULT FOUND. RELOAD ENGINE AND ACM SOFTWARE CLEARED CODES AND RUN ON DYNO MONITOR EGR AND OTHER PARAMETERS UNDER LOAD REPORT FINDINGS. DPF DIFF SENSOR HIT 4.04 DURING RUN SOOT LOAD AT 114% PUT IN REGEN. NEED TO RE-INSPECT DPF FOR FAILURE REPORT NO CODES RETURNED DURING DYNO GOT QUOTE FOR DPF.

Is there any way a botched EGR cooler install or faulty egr cooler could be causing this? This all started after EGR cooler was installed. I personally removed DPF filter and wire tested it. All holes were clear.

Newto Trucking Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.