pneumatic blowers for sand hauling

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Kellyb, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Rooster007

Rooster007 Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2011
    I'm in the market for a blower as well. Kinda lookin at the cycloblower but don't really know that much about them. Wondering which is better- shaft driven or hydraulic driven pto for this app. Gonna be buyin both units to blow sand with. Also any good dealers in TX y'all recommend? Also lookin at trailers...which ones are good, which ones suck, ect. Thanks for all the help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Shaft is a no brainer... skip the hydraulics. You'll have plenty of heat off the blower without adding the heat of hydraulics too. Throw in a heat exchanger needed for hydraulic oil cooling and your cap cost heads north too.

If I may ask......most frac sand brokers want you to show up complete with authority, insurance, trailer, hoses etc. The full meal deal if you will and this is unlike any other segment of the industry. Oh sure, carriers want allot but what they can get is different.

My Q: Why would you provide all these goodies to the broker instead of just humping loads yourself ? With all these goodies in place a hand could just show up at the sand plant and pull direct....yes? Or is the brokers "cut" worth the fast pay?

Just curious....

4. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I can only speak on the frac sand of it, but here is why not:

Most of the time we load together in groups of 4 or 5 trucks, and this way we can service each well in one day.

It would take a one truck outfit all week to fill the same bins, and you will find the scheduling is much tighter than that.

5. Big Red

Big Red Lonestar

Nov 11, 2007
    Most customers in this business look for total coverage of their sand needs with one phone call.

It would be a logistics nightmare to try and cover 1 million plus pounds of
    sand every 5 or 6 hours around the clock if a company had to deal with
    each truck separately.

I'll let you do the math.....IF everything works flawlessly....it never does.

You have to have the trucks at your disposal.....right now.....if everything
    is going to work without a delay.

It also keeps the big brokerage houses away from the frac sand business.

6. Rooster007

Rooster007 Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2011
    I have been haulin frac tech sand the past few weeks and have been dealing directly with them for loads. My boss is leased out to a logistics company who in turn leases out to the frac companys. I don't call my boss or the logistic company for dispatch I call the frac company that's coordinating the job. Basically I tell them what area I'm in and they tell me what's available. Basically a first come first serve basis. They don't like dedicating certain trucks to certain jobs because if they did while a truck is down or running behind they would be shooting themselves in the foot. So IMO isn't it feasible to run for yourself rather than give someone 10% of your loads when they didn't do anything? I think chalupa is right. I've been seeing this go on with o/o dealing directly with the frac company's rather than having thier loads brokered. But unless you have a good business head on you I wouldn't attempt it. There are more headaches involved.

7. Redimix

Redimix Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Few realize the major problem is money and the ability to “float” the cash flow. Buying frac sand from the producers then waiting even 30 days to be paid by the end user with thousands of tons being moved on a daily basis is some serious money.
    And we all know how dependable the oil industry is!
    If I had that kind of cash flow capabilities I wouldn’t be in this business.
    :biggrin_25518:

8. stinerspecialtransport

stinerspecialtransport Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Midland, TX
    Anyone pulling for D&T out of Weatherford?

9. Kelley79

Kelley79 Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2011
    I do Frac everyday don't listen to the horror story's of waiting for days on location, or stuff like that. If your sitting an you own your rig your getting anywhere from 50 to 80 dollars an hour. The well sites are on a tight Frac schedule so the don't want you to wait. Plus they don't have the room to have you sitting around. Some of those sites need 40 to 90 loads between fracs so you see what I mean.

10. Big Red

Big Red Lonestar

Nov 11, 2007
    Right now in N Tx the drought has a LOT of jobs shut down.

11. confederateflag

confederateflag Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Does anyone know where I can get a pneumatic blower for a good deal? I want either a 12L or a T1050.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.