Poor braking

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by CARL HINKSON, Apr 21, 2017.

1. CARL HINKSON

CARL HINKSON Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2017
    I have a 2016 Peterbilt Model 365 Tri-axel seems like I have to use a a lot of air pressure to get the truck to stop even empty. It only has 28000 miles the brakes have never got better since I have owned the truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I think there may have been a relay or doodads installed into your braking system to limit the loss of air when empty. Theoratically you have just lost your trailer and is now bleeding through your red glad hand. The engineers may have built your air distribution system with a relay or few to prevent you from losing too much air too fast.

My theory is if you were to remove this protection you might find the whole of the primary air supply now available to your braking. Just like it was old school.

4. CARL HINKSON

Apr 21, 2017
    You may be on to something, My truck is in heated storage for the winter and been driving other trucks and there trucks stop better loaded then mine does empty ( No joke ) The truck is set up for hauling trailer !! I have been told by quite a few people to apply the trailer brakes and see if my brakes work better. I will have the truck out this weekend and will post back my results.

[​IMG]

Dave_in_AZ, AtticusRoad and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Maybe if you were able to put a dead glad hand into the trailer ones so that your truck thinks it has a trailer attached to it. It's brutal to hack a system this way. But it's from my little bag of tricks I don't reach into often when I am with a tractor that wont stop.

I did write my first post poorly but I think from your answer you are on the track I think you need to be on. Consider it carefully. Who knows it might work out well.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    No clue as to what the problem might be, but that is a sweet looking truck.

CARL HINKSON Thanks this.
  7. CARL HINKSON

Apr 21, 2017

I was a coffee with a bunch of drivers and they had your same view of what going on. I will have an answer tomorrow.

Thanks for your help
    Carl Hinkson

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You could have an issue with the R-14 relay valve, this would cause issues like hard braking.

The R-14 relay valve is separate from the trailer relay valves, so if there is an issue, it could be with the R-14.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Disk or drum brakes?

10. CARL HINKSON

Apr 21, 2017
    Drum brakes

11. CARL HINKSON

Apr 21, 2017
    One guy said it a the R-13 valve !!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.