Poor braking

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by CARL HINKSON, Apr 21, 2017.

1. CARL HINKSON

CARL HINKSON Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2017
    This truck has out board drums you don't have to take the hubs off to change the drums. Something is wrong for sure.

Thanks for the reply s
    Carl

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CARL HINKSON

Apr 21, 2017

Still no improvement withe brakes, Truck is due for a sticker at the end of this month and no one wants to put a sticker on my truck do to poor breaking.

For the last few weeks I have been trying out different truck I work with and all the I have driven just in the parking lot the you just breath on the brake pedal and the truck will put you into the dash !!!!

I talked to owner of RC Moore Transportation I told him what was going on, He asked if I had Eaton brakes I said yes there is your problem he said that those brakes have never worked for him uneven wear poor braking ETC. Maritor Brake systems are the are the way to go.

I left my truck at Peterbilt yesterday and they were going to change the spiders but did not because the new ones measured the same as the old ones, So they took my brand new shoes off with less then 1500 miles on them and put another set of shoes on, They said they did a road test and brakes seemed fine. I asked do the brakes lock up at 25 pounds of applied pressure he said no. I said something is wrong.

He said the brakes meet the stopping distance I said thats an empty truck put 24 ton on and see what happens.

I will keep you posted on the nest step

x1Heavy and daf105paccar Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Sir, I have nothing but good things to say about Meritor Braking systems along with that of Bendix Componets of good quality where used correctly. I heve ran a Meritor Rockwell automatic which was quite a product considering what wife and I did to it in 10 months flat. Very intense team operations.

I want to sit and think about what I am about to say. It's a pretty truck, it's looks like a strong truck and you must have equipped it just so because it's in every appearance ready to go do work for you.

And it will never be.

Get rid of that thing. Find a truck that slams you into the dash when you breathe on the brakes, THAT is the truck you want. We can ease the stroke adjustment just a little tad and make it less of a #####.

Get rid of that poor thing. If you can. I hope you can. Maybe Insurance of some sort will help you a little bit because you bought equiptment that is deemed unsafe. More importantly you managed to uncover a few souls (Bless their hearts...) that tell you "Aww ps'saw.. ta'int nothing at all"

They are taint nothing at all TO YOU, the professional. I hope im NOT one of those "Taint nothings at all"around here...

At the end of day, I think the best situation for you is a truck replacement. Good bye old paint nice knowing you bolts and all. But it would have easily gone the other way, on the road and making you money hand over fist and too tired to spend it all today, maybe tomorrow.

Let us know how you do replacing that truck. Let's us anticipate a tour of your new replacement at some point in the future.

5. CARL HINKSON

Apr 21, 2017
    Bendix reps came out to evaluate my truck said air pressure to the cans was fine drums had equal heat.
    I knew that before they came out that was a waste of time. Stopping power is where the problems at. They said the truck was fine !!! They put the original drums and shoes the truck was rerecorded with. ( which is he 4th set of shoes and 3rd set of drums !!

A good scenario one of my friends has a trucking company one of there trucks was involved in an accident a 17 year old girl ran a stop sign the Dearborn truck tee boned her car ( No one was hurt Thank god there were 3 girls in the car. ) I drove by the accident scene a few days later and noticed the skid marks in the road and rear dual tires locked up !!! I called the service manager and asked him way the brakes locked up and the truck was loaded he argued with me there is no way that could have happened. But called me back a half hour later to tell me the ABS sensor on the left front was broke off at impact and thats the reason for the brakes locking up, The ABS system was disabled !!! I said I wish My truck could do that !!!

Friday I went to try my truck out and told Mike the service manger disable the ABS we will put a load on and if I can get my brakes to lock up we have a deal game over. Loaded the truck with it weighed around 68500 as I usually weigh 73000 total weight. At 40 MPH did a panic stop, Truck did not lock up one rear wheel did this 3 time same results. Service manager looked like the little boy that sh-it his pants. Then we were going to down a slight incline and I said watch the applied pressure gauge I will go from 25 LBS to 50LBS, Doing that there was little to no effect in stopping power. I said to Mike thats the problem no stopping power.

Both trucks are tri-axle mine is a Model 365 Dearborn truck is a Model 567 with rear mounted air cams mine are front mounted.
    We got back to the dealership truck was empty I said watch the gauge at 5 MPH I went up to 25 LBS of applied pressure and the truck just came to a rolling stop, I told Mike I driven probably 25 different trucks in the last 2 months and the trucks with an applied pressure gauge on the dash at about 8 LBS it feels like you hit a wall when moving about 10 to 15 MPH

My brakes to not have that grabbing effect for some reason. I would have been nice to meet with the guys that tested my truck and actually show them what goes on.

Now my truck is due for a sticker and with these brake problems it can't legally have a sticker put on. My insurance guy says if you don't think the truck safe to drive don't drive but if you get into an accident we are there to protect you.

I am trying to set up an appointment with the Maritor brake rep which lives a half hour away to see if he can shed some light on why I am having poor braking issues.

I use to work for the State Police and have been in touch with them and the have given my some other options to look at which should give me some better results.

Carl

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    There's gotta be something simple causing this. Its not making any sense at all why your braking power sucks. If each chamber is getting the proper pressure (whatever your dash gauge reads), its gotta be on the foundation side. Honestly the only things I can think of is your brakes aren't adjusting properly and they're almost out of stroke, the slack adjusters are too short/wrong, cams installed on wrong sides (they are CW and CCW rotation specific) or the shoes/drums don't match in terms of contour.

I would seriously have them check that the proper cams are installed. Changing the location of the brake chamber from front of axle to rear of axle (and vice versa) also requires that the opposite rotation cam be used.

7. CARL HINKSON

Apr 21, 2017
    These brakes have been adjusted by at least 15 or more different people no problems there. The truck has the long stroke cans as they have the square boss where the air lines attach.

Bendix said they checked the pressure at all the cans no problems there.

I have never disputed the pressure at the cans as I have checked that myself and so has Peterbilt and the temps of the drums seem to be equal. You just have to apply way to much pressure to the cans to get the the truck to stop. Like 60% more air !!! AS COMPARED TO OTHER TRUCKS !!!

This week I will be there while the drums come off and will apply pressure to the cans and see what or what not is happens during this procedure.

Also RC Moore is building a glider kit truck and they just put all new assembled differential housings with air cans mounted on the front of the axles the same as mine with drums, I will see if we can remove a drum and compare what the Maritor VS Eaton set up look like and see if the components operate in the same manner.

Thank you for your time. When ever I get an answer I will post ASAP

Carl Hinkson

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I doubt this is an Eaton vs. Merritor thing. Lots of trucks have Eatons and don't have this issue. Its something easy that everyone is overlooking. Complicated problems that 15 people have failed to find tend to make guys forget to look at the easy stuff. Honestly I would take a good, hard look at the cams when they have the drums off next. I have a sneaking suspicion they might not be the right ones.

CARL HINKSON Thanks this.
  9. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    @CARL HINKSON
    Have they adjusted the brakes while the wheel was jacked off the ground?
    Jack up a axle,turn the slackadjuster till the wheel is locked.
    Then lose the adjuster just enough till the wheel turns freely.

10. CARL HINKSON

Apr 21, 2017

I am thinking the same thing I will be there the next time the drums are off and will have someone apply pressure to the pedal and see what happens.

I did ask about that several times and was told everything was fine.

Thanks for your help.
    Carl Hinkson

11. CARL HINKSON

Apr 21, 2017

Yes I have done that along with about 5 other people that have same that the same way.

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.