Poor CB Reception

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by SMURF1, Aug 21, 2011.

1. SMURF1

SMURF1 Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Brockville, Ontario
    I drive a 06 379 Pete. I have tried different CB's and coax's,antennaes. I presently have a Stryker 447HP new coax,and antennae installed by CB shop where purchased. One day it works fine, the next day unless I can see the person I can't here them. Any suggestions.:biggrin_25511:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    Long shot .....

Could you have a bad connector OR have pinched the coax ? :biggrin_25513:

4. Xcis

Xcis Medium Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Bridgeport, Pa
    It would be helpful if you could identify your SWR (standing wave ratio) when using a stand alone SWR meter not any meter in the radio itself.
    An SWR meter reading of 3.0 or higher indicates a connection problem. I believe that newer Peterbuilts have something of a reputation for poor to nonexistant ground planes.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  5. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    Good post CJ.

Not only that but you'd also hear the clowns of CB radio (the "no panties on" guy, the radio rambo, the "bababooey" guy, etc) over and over, and they would not fade from the radio for a long time. And with CB radio not having any kind of reinforcement anymore from Uncle Charlie, no thanks.

Other than that, that's why I like my 2 meter amateur radio....I can talk to people 50 miles away using the repeater. But the conversations are much friendlier. People actually don't mind talking to one another.

Of course there's no crap on the radio, I know they have detection finding devices as you are keying up, but also I believe they have devices that can pin point where you geographically were transmitting from even long after you've unkeyed...?

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  6. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Could be you just need a better antenna....You didn't say what antenna your running, but just a "FYI" the 3-4' fiberglass antenna's (or any short CB Antenna) are a waist of money if your wanting to get out more than just a couple 3 or 4 miles...

7. Outlaw27

Outlaw27 Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2012
    I'm having the same issue. Stryker 497 in a 05 columbia. Chrome mirror arms. 18' coax, Wilson 2000 antenna, SWR is 1.1/1.5 on 1/40. The "white noise" is real low compared to other radios. I've had several stryker radios, 440/447/490/497 and they all seem to have real finicky receive.

edit. Old thread I know. But it's relevant to me. As much as I love my 497(power, echo, lights, clear TB) I'm starting to think it's just the nature of a stryker radio to have real finicky ears.

8. Lowboy456

Lowboy456 Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2017
    I have the same issue with my Stryker 955. If the squelch is quite I can't hear people more than 1/8 of a mile if that. If I turn RF gain to max, squelch full noisy and volume down to where the static doesn't drive me bonkers, I can hear and talk several miles.
    If someones really pushing some watts on a bass station like Tripple Nickel in Detroit Michigan I can hear him several states away in Atlanta, Ga. But I have to listen to that noisy squelch to do it.

9. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Can anyone else see a pattern here? Original poster over 8 years ago couldn't hear squat with his Stryker 447...3 years second person complaining he can't hear squat, and had used 4 or 5 Stryker radios, all with same problem...now fast forward another 5 years New posted with same old problem...Stryker radio...no ears...

10. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Could be they all wanted the big radio with the super tune. I doubt that Stryker is making poor radios, more likely someone is turning them into trash.

Intothesunset and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.