Poor CB Reception

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by SMURF1, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Lowboy456

Lowboy456 Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Stryker rocks and like I say turn the volume down, squelch to fully noisy, rf gain maxed out and youll hear people talking several states away.
    I just dont like the range I have with the noise squelched out. My Cobra 19 does a bit better with the squelch set where there's no noise.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lowboy456

Mar 14, 2017
    My radio was bought used and had been repaired at a cb shop so it might have been tweaked some.
    My 2 ft firestick antenna is probably not the best. Im going to try one of these Road Pro antennas. its made like the Predator 10K but is a 1000 watt antenna at 24 bucks. Ive got a buddy with one and when him and another truck with a 2 ft firestick drive out of range talking I can hear him only once they get far enough away.
    RoadPro 4.5 Air Cooled Helical Coil Center Loaded CB Antenna 1000 Watts

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Don't do it, it's a trap! RoadPro is Junk.
    Wilson and Francis are now under the RoadPro "umbrella" also, and the quality really suffers. Wilson coil antennas fill up with water and the fiberglass antennas break (the wiring inside). The best survivor from RoadPro buying them out was Francis. They are a good budget antenna but you want something at least 4'-4'.5" long. The longer the better.

Or some thing from one of these.. (in no order of preference)
    Skipshooter Antennas Home
    CB Antennas - Group President Electronics USA
    Sirio HF (3-30MHz)

6. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Newer 379 Pete needs a ground strap to the air cleaner for rf ground. The aluminum mirror bracket corroded over time. Either bypass the corrosion with a ground strap or rip the mirror apart and polish all the connections to fix the rf ground.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  7. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    This one is a better design and the connections aren't exposed to road salt since they are submerged in oil which prevents corrosion.
    RoadPro 54" Oil Coil Center Loaded CB Antenna

8. Lowboy456

Mar 14, 2017
    Thanks for the links! Ill check into them.:cool:

9. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Could be right with the P&T's...I've only had one Stryker radio and that was a 440 back when they first came out, and don't remember having any issues with receiving...But then again I always run Predator 10K antennas too...

As for Stryker building junk-radios, I have read several posts here and there where guys were having issues with some of the newer radios, and where Stryker had to send back a bunch of radios to the manufacturer because of board problems...But these posts here where guys can't hear I tend to think has more to do with their set-ups than anything...starting with the antennas.

QuietStorm and Intothesunset Thank this.
  10. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    I had those roadpro air coils. I had my connex 3400hp hooked to it. I could reach 20 miles twin coils on mirrors. Radio was turned all the way up to a 50 slug or whatever Max out put is stock.

11. Lowboy456

Mar 14, 2017
    My friend has a single Road Pro Helicoil Air Cooled antenna and I can hear him farther out than anyone else in our dump trucking convoy. I can hear him farther than I can talk to him.
    I'm fixiang to ditch my 2 ft Firestick antenna.

Intothesunset and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  12. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Even a 4 ft antenna is a bit short.

13. Kevin83165

Kevin83165 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Herrin Illinois
    Yup. An old ham once told me that you will never find a shorter antenna that will out perform a longer antenna regardless the claims and hype. At least on 11 MHz. And although this was told to me over 20 years ago I have still found it to be true. When it comes to antennas, the bigger is always the better.

TheRATT and Intothesunset Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs