Portable freezer

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Brianjr323, May 28, 2023.

1. Brianjr323

Brianjr323 Light Load Member

May 18, 2023
    I’m trying to find a little portable freezer to put in my truck. Something I can buy in store preferably. Got some time to kill. Any help?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Movingismylifeilovemoving

Movingismylifeilovemoving Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Had the two section version of this in a van I built for camping. It ac/dc. Efficient and worked for the 2 years I used it

Amazon.com : wynter dc fridge

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    You want one that uses an actual compressor, not the thermoelectric types at the truck stop. Thermoelectric won't reach freezing and won't stay cold unless it's in a constantly air conditioned environment. I have an Alpicool from Amazon. I think it was about $250. It will keep food frozen solid and works off either 12V DC or 120V AC.

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You are asking about freezers. Do you need a unit that keeps items frozen or is freezer just your word for fridge/refrigerator?
    Alpicool, Engle, Dometic, and others make compressor-based units that often can be combo fridge/freezers or all fridge or all freezer.
    To make the best choice you need to have a good idea of home much volume/space you need to be kept cold/frozen, how much space in your truck you can fill up with a fridge/freezer, and the amount of money you can spend. Vague answers are not helpful. Many small units measure the interior volume/space in quarts or liters. If you just need a way to keep food from spoiling you can get by with the $100-150 electric coolers, or thermoelectric coolers, available at most truck stops. They are not durable and they USUALLY keep the inside just cold enough (in average conditions) for your food to not give you food poisoning. If you can spend $200 or more I would get a compressor-based electric fridge/freezer for the truck, if you have the room to store it.

If you already have a 1200 watt or larger inverter in the truck you can buy a dorm fridge from Walmart to use in the truck. They take up more space than some of the "portable" units for RVs, camping, off-grid purposes.

Rideandrepair and ducnut Thank this.
  6. Brianjr323

May 18, 2023
    This is the one I ordered. EUHOMY 12 Volt Refrigerators, -4℉~68℉, 47 Quart(45Liter) Electric Cooler Portable Freezer 12/24V DC and 120-240V AC, Removable Divider, Car Reridgerator For Travel,Car, Boating,Camping, Fishing, RV, Outdoor or Home. https://a.co/d/53frsds

Rideandrepair and ducnut Thank this.
  7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

That looks like a good deal. Having food in the truck makes so many more places a good place to park.

Rideandrepair, ducnut and Brianjr323 Thank this.
  8. Brianjr323

May 18, 2023
    Right lol

9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I had the smallest Wal mart fridge. Maybe 5 cu. ft. Bought next size up. Uses the same amount of power. Runs 3-4 days ( maybe longer) on my 3 batteries without draining them, when parked. The next size up is best. Separate freezer door. Uses a bit more power, not much. I often buy steaks or seafood to bring home. Just bought 3 lbs of fully cooked Dungoness crabs for $36. Little freezer portion is full. Headed home. I need the larger freezer. This one will freeze things on top shelf, just under the freezer portion, when set on high, so if needed the top shelf will also keep frozen items frozen. They do make mini freezers. Not sure about energy use, on top of separate fridge in a Truck. Have to check the amperage ratings. Big fridge w/separate freezer seems like the best option. Relatively cheap, run on inverter. When it goes bad, toss it and buy another. They seem to last just as long as my 2 previous original expensive 12v Dometics

hope not dumb twucker Thanks this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’m going to check on that one. Save my inverter for microwave, coffee pot. etc.

11. Brianjr323

May 18, 2023
    That don’t do me any good when my truck only has one size for fridge spot lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.