POSSIBLE DIFFERNTIAL ISSUE

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by RoadRanger^^, Dec 4, 2021.

1. RoadRanger^^

RoadRanger^^ Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Columbus, OH
    I need help guys. Idk where to start this time. This vibraion and truck is jumping in the rear end. especially when bobtail. front differential has to much play and rear looks tight very little play. Vibration when accelerating, around 65, clunk when release gas and opposite. when bobtail when try to brake truck also slids like abs i kicking on for some reason. I decided ti lock differentian and drove it around 45 i didnt feel vibration and also if i brake with differential lock and try to brake the truck is braking hard without sliding. What could be this issue? is it possible front diff is bad and both differential are fighting each other cannot synchronize?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RoadRanger^^

Apr 17, 2018
    Columbus, OH
    to mention if front diff were found big piece of metal.I’m not talking about shavings this were real pieces

Attached Files:

4. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    That pic, is not normal thats for sure. Is the diff. down on the floor? If so, Take it to be rebuilt.

ibcalm19 Thanks this.
  5. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    You're going to have to check the whole drive line from the transmission to the front diff. That vibration depending on how long it was going on can cause problems to the rest of the components. I would have it all checked to be sure.

6. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I was given this advice.
    Anytime there's more than shavings on the inspection or drain plug, remove differential and inspect.

joey8686 Thanks this.
  7. RoadRanger^^

Apr 17, 2018
    Columbus, OH
    how much should cost each differential cause i got quoted from this guys in indiana, and they said they are sending the diffs to be rebuild and send them back to the shop and put it back. $1800 each diff? how that sounds ? should i rebuildem both or just the bad one ? I’m also tired of that clunk in the back. Please let me know!

8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I recently replaced my front differential. $2,600 for a remanufactured. Plus labor to install.
    You do not have to replace both differentials, only the one that is bad.
    You found pieces in the front differential, same thing happened to me. Change the front diff.
    Maybe change the fluid in the rear when you get home.

9. RoadRanger^^

Apr 17, 2018
    Columbus, OH
    what were your symptoms and how is with new differential ?

thank you!

10. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Only a slight change in truck vibration. Nothing severe. I pulled the inspection plug, it had several small pieces of metal fragments.
    At first inspection I drained fluid and drove another 10,000 miles.
    When I got back home I checked the plug again. It had more fragments, so I changed the diff and had the inter-axle shaft refurbished. Changed all 3 u-joints connecting drive shafts to diffs.

Vibration is gone.

11. RoadRanger^^

Apr 17, 2018
    Columbus, OH
    Hopefully that will help, i mean for 1milion miles diff i only replaced power divider 200k ago.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.