Possible dilema!!! Advice needed!!

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart' started by braceface, Aug 12, 2012.

  1. braceface

    braceface Light Load Member

    135
    143
    Aug 4, 2010
    0
    I don't drive for Walmart yet, but may have a dilema on my hands...

    Had an interview and road test last week at distribution center 300 miles away from the house last week. Everything went very well, and I believe they will call me back.

    A day or two after that interview, Walmart posted a job opening 100 miles from the house, and I would drive right by this distribution center (literally) on my way to the distribution center, that I interviewed at..

    I would like any advice, on what I should do...I don't want to seem ungrateful, and I will certainly be most happy to work at the original center 300 miles away...

    My question, should I mention this to them if I get called back for a possible job offer, or does anyone think that Walmart may already be aware of the situation, and could possibly offer a job at the much closer distribution center.

    I'm sure Walmart has no motivation in having a driver drive 5 hours to work, when he could drive 1 1/2 hours, and they are hiring at both places..

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
     
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. Okieron

    Okieron Crusty Okie

    1,641
    1,021
    Dec 23, 2009
    muskogee, ok
    0
    Wal Mart is a funny place ! thingsyou think were common sense wont be with them. Good Luck
     
  4. Guitar Man

    Guitar Man Medium Load Member

    553
    467
    Sep 29, 2006
    State Of Confusion
    0
    I would mention it to them (if you're offered the job) .And I would start the conversation exactly how you typed it above,then add " But I've become aware of an opening at a DC 100 miles from my house.".....Good luck man!
     
    braceface Thanks this.
  5. windsmith

    windsmith Road Train Member

    7,289
    5,979
    Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    0
    Edited because I didn't realize that they were both Wal-Mart jobs.

    Apply for the position that's based closer to your home. Contact Wal-Mart's HR department and let them know that you're waiting for an offer on the other position, and would like to interview for the one that's closer. Don't let the hiring managers know that you've interviewed for two different positions, let HR sort it out.
     
  6. GAlanFink

    GAlanFink Medium Load Member

    334
    271
    May 8, 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    0
    You said you haven't been called... go interview at the closer warehouse. Common sense dictates convenience. You haven't been called therefore you are applying wherever you can find work.
     
  7. DC 7033 Store Ambassador

    DC 7033 Store Ambassador Light Load Member

    59
    26
    Jul 27, 2012
    Apple Valey,CA
    0
    There are some options available but I think its going to depend on if they have enough people to cover the spots they are hiring for. You need to bring this up with your HR contact as soon as you get your call back.

    As usual we are having a hard time finding qualified drivers that can make it to the point of receiving a conditional offer. Its very likely that there is not going to be another applicant to fill your spot if they were to allow you to go to the other DC. For example we originally had seven new hires in my group but the week before our class started one was removed from the process for providing false information on his application. His backround check and or reference check did not match up with his application so he was removed from the group. There was no one that had moved ahead in the process to take his place so they had to put thru a class of six.

    There is the option once your thru orientation of putting in for a hardship transfer but I have heard they were not allowing these except for extreme circumstances. The other option is to put in your year and then transfer out when the closer DC has an opening. If your going to use this option I would be in that DC's office getting your face known as often as I could. There is a good chance you will be running out of their from time to time seeing its within your region.

    So there you go,remember we have alot of drivers who commute much further its only once a week and it may be your only option. I strongly advise against declining an offer if you get it. Thinking that you could apply and get picked up at the other DC based on your current status could be a big mistake. There is a very real likelyhood that you would have to start back at square one.
     
    TRKRSHONEY and braceface Thank this.
  8. DC 7033 Store Ambassador

    DC 7033 Store Ambassador Light Load Member

    59
    26
    Jul 27, 2012
    Apple Valey,CA
    0
    This is not an option I would recommend. Everything is done fom the home office in Bentonville if you are already in the process awaiting an offer they are not likely to forward your application to another DC for another interview.
     
    braceface Thanks this.
  9. braceface

    braceface Light Load Member

    135
    143
    Aug 4, 2010
    0
    I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone!!! If and when I get the call back, I will bring it to thier attention, and see what they say!!!

    There is NO WAY IN HECK that I would turn down the job, if they can't let me work at the DC closer to home...

    I have been trying to get on here for years now, and I am in in for the next 15-20 years, untill I retire..

    Thanks again DC 7033, you really provide great info and advice...
     
  10. Powder Joints

    Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

    6,513
    5,512
    Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    0
    You will probably not get hired by the dc 300 miles away, go for the closest one. It will improve your odds.
     
  11. DC 7033 Store Ambassador

    DC 7033 Store Ambassador Light Load Member

    59
    26
    Jul 27, 2012
    Apple Valey,CA
    0
    And your basis for this advice is?

    Actually with where he is in the process he should be receiving a call any day to come back in to meet with his HR person. This next meeting with HR will be where he will recieve his conditional offer. Its not quite over there is still a chance he could be removed from the process. Until he starts his first day of class there is always that chance,but I think hes going to do fine.
     
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted