Post flatbed load photos here V2.0

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by leftlanetruckin, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    Call me crazy but I don't understand 3 piece tarps. A few companies out here use them and they look like a giant pain in the ###

PeteyFixAll, skellr, Oxbow and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I don't like them. Company I work for uses them, and they aren't a giant pain in the ###, but they are more work. That being said, I don't think any of our tarps are over 70 pounds and I can tarp anything up to 48 feet long and 8 feet tall with just those three tarps. So it's cheaper than running around with 6 tarps like you see on some trucks and the company feels like there is less chance of back injury vs playing with 120 pound tarps.

It's a very "desk jockey" type decision imo, but at least there is a logic to it.

DDlighttruck, Rugerfan and Razororange Thank this.
  4. Al. Roper

Al. Roper Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Bakersville NC
    I've got a 3 piece set of 8's at the house. They're nice to use on a tall load. I'm one of those guys that carry 7-8 tarps of differing sizes. Lol

MJ1657, Oxbow, Orangees and 5 others Thank this.
  5. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    I don't know if I like them yet or not. On this set the middle one has d-rings on all 4 sides, so it's versatile that way. Some loads you can get away with the two end tarps with the flaps. I needed 6 more feet so had to use all 3.

MJ1657, Oxbow, johndeere4020 and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Chewy352

Chewy352 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Enid, OK
    I liked my 3 piece tarps. Until I had a load that my 2 tarps was a foot short on and instead of leaving the back open I had to pull a 3rd tarp out.

The load looks like crated glass. If it is they suck. 3 hours to load and 3 hours to unload. The one time I had it the loads were impossible as is. I ended up getting 3 hours of sleep each night for like 4 nights in a row. But I made it home for the holiday so that's all that counts.

PeteyFixAll, cke, MJ1657 and 3 others Thank this.
  7. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Ah... @Chewy352 is already reminiscing about the good old days of not slamming doors. :D

8. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    All glass loads suck. That's all I hauled for the 7 months I worked at Maverick. It was 95% raw glass on A- Frame trailers. 3-5 hours to load and 3+ hours to unload. The employees at the glass plants knew just how long they could take. If they got the truck loaded in less than 3 hours Maverick wouldn't charge them detention.

Pilkington Glass in Laurinburg, NC was the worst. They would load a pack, take a 10 minute break, Load a pack, take a break. Plenty of times I was there for 6+ hours loading. Securing and tarping it really sucked. Have to pad every edge really well with cardboard V boards. If you missed a corner you would know because it would turn the tarp into confetti in about 2 seconds.

I will never haul glass again for the rest of my life. It's just not worth the time.

PeteyFixAll, 4mer trucker, cke and 5 others Thank this.
  9. Chewy352

Chewy352 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Enid, OK
    Not quite.

Al. Roper, cke, MJ1657 and 3 others Thank this.
  10. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    That's interesting.

11. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Maverick got me to try glass by offering 6CPM more over the flatbed division. It wasn't even close to worth it. It was pretty hard to get even 2K miles per week because of all the time spent loading and unloading. The only upside to the job was after delivering each load I would just deadhead to another glass plant. 500+ mile DH was not uncommon and paid the same as loaded. I think I only hauled 2-3 normal flatbed loads working there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.