Potential new trucker, few questions

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Whattruck, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Whattruck

Whattruck Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2017
    Hey Guys/Gals,
    I'm looking at trucking as a new career choice and have decided to pay out of pocket for schooling at a local community college that offers 240 hours of drive time in a six week course. I have studied the manual and am ready to take the permit test, physical/drug screening as prerequisite to the class. My only concern is my MVR.
    I have a ticket that is almost exactly 2 years old 77 in a 55. (My car didn't have a functioning speedometer at the time) I did not fight the ticket or anything, just paid it and went on with my life (in my state it was not considered reckless, just speeding). I also have an accident that I am not at fault for less than a year ago. (Was not ticketed, car turned left in front of me last minute and I had the right of way) I have already talked to an instructor for the school and understand the accident doesn't really matter seeing as I was at no fault, but the ticket has me slightly concerned. The school instructor told me that I am still eligible for training, (read: of course they'd take my money) but no guarantee I'd be able to find a job after the fact. I have searched, and have found many similar posts, but I only have one ticket, and a clean background otherwise. Does anyone here have any insight as to whether I'd be able to find a trucking job after school?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    IMHO the 22 mph over ticket will be a deal breaker. I would venture to "apply" to some companies BEFORE you go to school, and see what THEY think. I would NOT spend money on school with that on my record; were it me personally. They'll SURE give you a CDL 5K or so later, and then what?~?
    As I said, IMHO. YMMV. Best of luck, no matter.

ps: It might be in your BEST (better?) interest to go with a company sponsored training program.... to get BOTH feet in the door, right off, if they'll even take you.

Sorry....just not looking great, atm. 3 years down the road might be better for ya.

4. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    The only advice I can give is this, do NOT use a faulty tach/speedo as a excuse for doing 20+ on top. You knew #### well you were going plenty over 55. Just be honest. You have a speeding ticket, no excuse. You will be better for it.

5. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    @Whattruck better listen to @G13Tomcat

especially this part....
    Dont be a "fool & his money" coz I sure hope you know how that goes...

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  6. Whattruck

Whattruck Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2017
    @G13Tomcat
    I'm picking up what youre putting down. Gonna do some calling around on monday and see what I can come up with as far gainful employment or not as the case may be. Just kind of crazy how a 2 year old ticket can cause so much grief. I did it to myself and im not trying to excuse it, just feel as if itd be better to have a couple felonies opposed to this speeding ticket on my record. May have to try again next year...

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. TurtlesLikeI

TurtlesLikeI Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Nevada
    The ticket might be an issue, but don't just assume it's hopeless because of what you read here. Call up all of the companies you're interested in and ask if you meet their hiring standards. If they say yes, move on to the next company. If they say no, move on to the next company. I guarantee that either a couple will say yes or your standards are too high.

It doesn't matter what speed you were going regarding reckless driving. You were either cited for it or you weren't, and you weren't. Good luck

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    12 more months and many companies will hire you. Need at least 3 years after that speeding ticket.
    There is hope; Carolina Cargo in Rock Hill,SC will probably hire you to run teams to California every week. Only have to stay there a few months, then you'll qualify for other companies.

TransAm might hire you also.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Pretty much what I was trying to say; always leaving the suggestions up to you, bro! ;)

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Company training, man. Try them all. If they pay for you to come to THEM.... both feet in. Look at China's suggestions, as well.

Best wishes; for sure.

11. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    I'd go with company sponsored training,if they don't hire you,you won't owe anything out of pocket.
    Schools will take your cash,promise you a job,and leave you with bills.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.