Potential TMC driver

Discussion in 'TMC' started by Kgar827, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Elkins93

Elkins93 Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2016
    I live in western ky and have heard that tmc has alot of freight in and out of calvert city ky which is about 30 minutes from my house. Do they load you close to home if the loads are there? How easy is it to bring home over 1k a week?

I'm considuring applying for their program, I've been driving since I was 16 in farm licensed trucks so ive never needed cdl's here in ky but I've hauled everything from beans and rock to dozers and combines

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IA Sooner

IA Sooner Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Ames, Iowa
    We haul sheet rock out of that area. You stay within about 700 miles of your home. You will make on average $55,000 your first year. Clearing $1000 is not going to happen as a rookie, and if you need to clear that, you better find another job, the economy changes too much for that to be consistent

4. Buc

Buc Medium Load Member

Nov 17, 2012
    I wouldn't say it's impossible to net $1K take-home as a greenhorn, as it may occur every now ans then...but as the above poster mentioned, just don't expect it consistently inside your first six months (outside of whatever length of time TMC has that 1K guaranteed minimum thing going for, if they're still doing that...I only just recently heard they started doing that), unless you want to start sacrificing some home time in exchange.

As for Calvert City...I know there's a Gerdau steel mill out there that, if I remember correctly, ships a lot of rebar and/or I-beams. Unless they've renovated the place in the past two years, it's also a pit. But it is there. I've never pulled sheet rock out of anywhere super-close to there, but it wouldn't surprise me if there indeed is a sheet rock operation somewhere near Calvert City, as you're likely to find a drywall plant in some of the absolute most random places ever in this country (see National Gypsum down in Rotan TX; Google Map search it and follow the roads from the nearest freeway and you'll see what I mean). The only one I know of close to there is GP down in Cumberland City TN, probably a good 1.5 hrs or so from Calvert City. (And TMC does load out of there a LOT. If you happen to go in there, pray you don't get the "billboard" load...that's the 5' wide x 12' long stuff, stacked single-row down the middle of the trailer, five tiers high [& pushing 14' tall depending on what trailer you're pulling], & up to 20 units if they don't cut the weight. You wanna roll a truck quick? Take a turn too fast with THAT load...and to my knowledge that is the only wallboard operation that loads that way. It's also technically against TMC's load securement guidelines, but they make an exception for them. $$$ talks, man.)

Anyway, hope that helps.

5. Highway Sailor

Highway Sailor Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    I think they load the board that way due to the width of the board. They can't put them side by side or they would overhang the trailer.

6. IA Sooner

Mar 30, 2013
    Ames, Iowa
    That is exactly why it's loaded that way and the $1000 guarantee is 2 weeks after getting your own truck

7. Buc

Buc Medium Load Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Oh I know about the width...the load itself is just a pain to drive. (Thankfully I only had to deal with it twice...although one of those times was in the dead of winter, traveling straight up I-57 toward Aurora IL...with the wind beating the mess out of me. Right after a winter storm. Yikes. But I made it safely; that's what counts.)

Highway Sailor Thanks this.
  8. Thecarte1

Thecarte1 Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Pitman, NJ
    Good company in my view. I worked with them for 3 years before starting my own business. I have nothing bad to say about them.

9. BAHCO 10

BAHCO 10 Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Chicago (Western Suburbs)
    Are the cameras forward and driver facing? When do they turn off?

10. IA Sooner

Mar 30, 2013
    Ames, Iowa
    They are activated at a hard incident. Like a hard break or an accident. One facing out of the windshield, one facing you, one looking back off each mirror down the side of the truck, and a back up camera on top of the headache rack

11. BAHCO 10

BAHCO 10 Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Chicago (Western Suburbs)
    That makes sense. So they are not running while you are stopped? Can they be activated by headquarters at any time w/o knowledge?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.