Power Inverters

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by rdubill, Jan 25, 2007.

1. tirednaz

tirednaz Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Arizona
    I tested the inverter with a coffee maker and it worked fine, also with a volt meter and it was putting out 120/127 spikes so I guess it's the microwave. Next question is are the newer microwaves able to run on the sine wave? or can you run them through a Power Strip voltage regulator?

Thanks for the help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gerardo1961

gerardo1961 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    miami
    I use my powerinverter150 only for charge my notebook,now i have problem with chargin i have 3 diferent inverter and everything is the same the inverters dont charge good my notebook,when i start the engine everything works good,and after is charging a time before the blinking begins on my inverter what is wrong,why the inverter no charge my notebook,i have new batteries,before i buy the new optimas batterie never have a problem,now i have troubles somebody knows what is wrong

4. foxy wench

foxy wench Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2013
    extremely helpful information here! :biggrin_25519:

5. foxy wench

foxy wench Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2013
    leave the engine running?? would be my guess

6. The_Judge

The_Judge Light Load Member

May 25, 2008
    Montreal, Quebec
    Is it Cobra 2500W Pure Sine or Modified Sine ? I cannot find anywhere this specification and I need to buy a new inverter that will run anything (not in the same time) including my laser printer and microwave.
    Thanx

7. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    If you can't find a specification one way or the other, you can be assured it is a modified sine wave output.

The_Judge Thanks this.
  8. BigMuthaTrucka

BigMuthaTrucka Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2012
    West Valley City, Utah
    Is there a shop anywhere that will install an inverter for you? I just got a hard core gaming laptop and the plug in inverter all of a sudden doesn't work unless the truck is running, so I'm trying to get an inverter hooked up to the batteries.

9. The_Judge

The_Judge Light Load Member

May 25, 2008
    Montreal, Quebec
    If ur laptop is a big ##### Alienware and ur inverter is a small 150W then is normal not to work without the engine running.

BigMuthaTrucka Thanks this.
  10. BigMuthaTrucka

BigMuthaTrucka Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2012
    West Valley City, Utah
    If I had a bigger power inverter say 1000 watt, Do you think I would still have to idle the truck to charge my ASUS gaming laptop?

11. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    All of the equipment you need to game has a sticker on it that describes the power requirements, i.e., 120VAC 500W or maybe 120VAC 10A. What you need to do is add up all the Watts (W)... if it is described in terms of Amps (A)... W = Volts*Amps or 120VAC*10A = 1200W.

If you have 3 units that variously require 500W, 350W and 1000W, then 500 + 350 + 1000 = 1850W. That's not the whole story. Because inverters work on a range of voltages, you'll need to supply more power at low input voltages than at higher input voltages. And most equipment has an "input surge" that requires more power at start up. And, as this stuff ages, it will usually require more power to run...

So back when I was working as an electrical engineer, I'd multiply by 2 just to see where we end up. In the above example, 1850W required, I'd look at 2*1850W = 3700W. That's not a common ouput rating for an inverter, but 3000W is. I'd buy the 3000W unit to make sure I had enough power to run everything at the same time.

The_Judge Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.