Power Inverters

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by rdubill, Jan 25, 2007.

1. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

Lighter sockets are very poor power outlets. My bet is that if you would wire yours directly (say, from the CB terminals), it would work fine without the engine running.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    You bet wrong for any kind of high wattage inverter.

4. MsJamie

He said it was a 150W inverter. The lower voltage drop from the CB terminals could well allow it to run without the engine running.

5. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Go read post #269. A 1000W inverter will pull 90ish amps at a low line input of say 11 Vdc at rated output. You hook that kind of equipment up to CB leads, and you're headed for a truck fire.

lovesthedrive and BigMuthaTrucka Thank this.
  6. MsJamie

I was referring to #267, where he referenced his plug in inverter. I wouldn't be surprised to find a 2V drop across the contacts in the lighter socket when pulling full power. I learned (very quickly) not to touch the metal bits of the lighter plug after running my Burton oven. :)

7. BigMuthaTrucka

BigMuthaTrucka Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2012
    West Valley City, Utah
    PowerBox4Asuslaptop.jpg
    ^^^that's what the power box says for my asus laptop

8. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    OK... so your inverter output is going to be in the 110 to 120VAC range. Let's say it's 120VAC...

120VAC * 2.34A = 280.8W

Add up the power (the ratings in Watts) you need for everything else you're going to run at the same time, and you have the total load power in watts. That doesn't include start-up surges, and some extra for when your batteries start running down. A 300W inverter will barely be able to handle your laptop when it's using all of that 280W. It may not be using that all the time, but it might be at startup. It's better to choose something with more available output so you don't run into trouble.

9. The Unatrucker

The Unatrucker Light Load Member

Mar 29, 2014
    I have one of those cheapy 300w AC plug inverters to hold me over and after like 15 hours of ps4 on a small tv I think it finally died.

10. The_Judge

The_Judge Light Load Member

May 25, 2008
    Montreal, Quebec
    I put money on the side for a 3000W pure sine invertor. Question: thereis any inconvenient for running a microwave or drill and tools? I know for laptop and laser printer is yummy but I was wondering if the rest of the herd will affect a pure sine inverter.

11. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    You'll be fine. For most things you don't need a pure sine wave to operate properly.

The_Judge Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.