Power invertor problem while gaming...

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Dsant201, May 22, 2018.

1. Dsant201

Dsant201 Bobtail Member

May 22, 2018
    Hoping somebody can help me out on a subject im not too intelligent on. I have a 2015 freightliner Cascadia and I'm trying To play PS4 for in it on my off time. I have a 15" TV that runs of a 12V-10a no problem. So far I've went through 2 power inverters and had the fuses blow on me while running the PS4. I have a power drive 300W and a Cobra 400W. The only thing I ran off them was the PS4 because the TV had its own Car charger connection. But I connected the power inverters in to the 12v-20a connection outlet and the fuses blew. please help

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    You simply don't have enough voltage to run what's plugged in. A 12v connection doesn't carry large gauge wire. You dont have an inverter to wire in?

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Most you can draw from a cigarette lighter type connection is 150 Watts.
    Those three and four hundred watt inverters usually come with alligator clips to wire direct to the battery for heavier loads.
    The PS4 can peak at nearly 150 Watts, but the inverter is probably only 80% efficient so you may be drawing 180 Watts or so from the truck.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You are pulling too much off too small of a inverter or two.

The fuses are there for your protection.

You should not be gaming, you should be sleeping getting rested for the next load.

You need to install at least a 2000 watt continuous inverter that has a peak of 3500. And the dealer will need to install that custom to that tractor AT YOUR EXPENSE. Your engine needs to be running when you are pulling on that inverter or your batteries will get dead fast. Dead batteries very expensive. If you are a company driver you need to have approval from your company from the shop boss on up. That way if the thing catches fire and burns down everything you can show that yes it's a authorized install at your expense.

The small inverters that go into cig lighers, we had a 300 watter that drive a laptop at most or charged cell phones. They draw next to nothing with the exception of the Coppermine Pentium III CPU inside that laptop which had a max TDW of about 110 watts equal to a light bulb in terms of wattage and temperature at a very small voltage loading.

That inverter lasted 10 years beyond trucking until it finally burned up and had to be disposed of. (After it cooled for hours in a bucket of cold water.)

You are lucky it's only fuses burning up. You would experience a overcurrent heating your wires to those lighters in your cab which will burn off insulation and then light a tractor fire if it touches anything else that will burn also.

6. Dsant201

Dsant201 Bobtail Member

May 22, 2018
    Thank you guys for the replys. Unfortunately i can not directly i wire the truck because its a company vehicle.

7. Dsant201

Dsant201 Bobtail Member

May 22, 2018
    But ive seen videos on youtube of ppl running their ps4s just fine off cigerette lighters. Im just trying to understand why i cant

8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Without wiring a larger inverter directly to the batteries, you won't fix the problem. I'd go work for another company.

9. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Buy a real inverter. A 1500 watt will do just fine Amazon sells pure sinwave for 200

10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    They were not running PS4's "just fine" off of a cig lighter inverter. This is a burnt truck waiting to happen.

But still to tax these inverters at 110% for extended periods, they would require at least a 4-battery truck, or for the truck to be idling while drawing this power.

Look for better carrier options as soon as you can. Companies that supply APU's, 1500 watt inverters, fridges, and even TV's and satellite receivers are becoming more common place today. Don't settle for crap employers if you're living in the truck most of the month. They're making money, don't settle for one who treats their employees like garbage.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.