Power relay 4 electrical troubles

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by mrtrdrvr, Sep 20, 2011.

1. mrtrdrvr

mrtrdrvr Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Indian River ,MI
    I am hoping somebody on here can help me figure this out. Going down the road yesterday I went to roll down my window but had no power. Checked all the fuses on the top center panel and they are all good. Changed the relays around hoping to see the problem move and spot the bad relay but all the relays are good. I finally removed the cover off the relay I had traced the power windows to (as well as the power mirrors, and mirror heat) and squeezed it together making the connection and voila, everything works as long as I hold the relay closed. I need to know is there a hidden fuse somewhere for this? or what sends the signal or power to trip that relay?
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    window motor is controlled with door modul (with window buttons and lock button). There is PIC16 processor inside and window motor Power MOSFET. It is easy to damage this modul keeping door open when it is raning. so to close window use pass door modul.

4. mrtrdrvr

Nov 6, 2009
    Indian River ,MI
    Thanks for the info Pablo, I prayed about it and had an epiphany during the night. It is the ignition switch. The points or contacts inside the switch are burnt and it is not sending the power to the relay.:biggrin_255:

5. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    yeah, this is usual issue of 12V trucks. In Europe electric system is 24V, so currents are twice lower and that's why ign. switch life is much longer. European switch on US version is overloaded.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  6. mrtrdrvr

Nov 6, 2009
    Indian River ,MI
    Good info, Now I have a second problem I think I messed up the door locking module. The remote control locks haven't worked for a while but when I locked one door the other door would lock. Now I have to lock each door seperately. Which module is the one that controls the locks?

7. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    There is door lock modul located in cener of dash, inside, under fuse panel. It is "brainless", no CAN, no MID... internally it is like simple car lock unit

8. mrtrdrvr

Nov 6, 2009
    Indian River ,MI
    but which one of the three is it? there is a long wide flat one, a small one held on by one screw that is a little larger than a pack of cards, and one the size of a small motorcycle battery.

9. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    all units are marked. MID 216 - LCM, MID 144 - VECU. Door Lock modul have no MID, no J1708, no J1939. Long wide seems to me is LCM, box with 3 connectors (one is small with twisted pares only) is VECU.

mrtrdrvr Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.