Power Steering Fluid

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by American-Trucker, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    for NC area I'd use dextron. engine oil is too thick with low temperature. Too hight pressure may damage PS pump and box. So if you use engine oil, do like I do turningg teering wheel from lock to lock, gently and slow befeore errand.

Anyway, use dextron ore other ATF, 15W40 is good for sunny Ca ore Florida!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    I have always used ATF , never had a failure. Jmo!

4. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    I do too!

sometimes when I drain motor oil from PS and fill it with ATF I have to fix some minor leaks

5. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    Just don't do what one of our drivers once did. He put diesel fuel in there. He had several gallons of oil in dog box but went with diesel. Not good. His final act as a driver for us was when he brought in a copy of his medical form when it was time for his annual with the date changed with white out (I guess he didn't think I would figure out it was his same form from the year before or ask for an original) Sometimes you have to wonder.

6. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    So i called our shop to ask right...."oh you can use anything, powersteeering fluid or atf......its all the same"

Lol

American Trucker

7. SwansonTrucker'sLady

SwansonTrucker'sLady Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    hey, I hope someone is up to respond soon. My man is out of power steering fluid. Another driver gave him transmission fluid when he asked her for powersteering fluid. Was she just not paying attention, or is that what you are supposed to use for semi powersteering? Note: he's driving a Volvo semi

8. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    You can use ATF(transmission fluid) for power steering. I personally use hydraulic oil.

KB3MMX and SwansonTrucker'sLady Thank this.
  9. SwansonTrucker'sLady

SwansonTrucker'sLady Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Good to know thank you. We've figured out that with trucking, you learn as you go.

10. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    I worked for a trucking company in SUNNY Edmonton, the P&D trucks were burning the PS fluid, ATF, and we changed all the PS systems to 15/40. When I first started at Freightliner we had a lot of twin steer problems and When we changed them to 15/40, no more burnt oil.
    At -40 you can cut the top off a old style, Quart can and turn it over, it will dimple but not pore out, That was something we showed P&D drivers with automatics, when I worked at a Detroit/Alison dealership.

11. James Johnson

James Johnson Light Load Member

May 27, 2017
    I always check mine every so often. Making sure it is working properly instead overheating. If it does happen and you have no clue, wait for a trucker to help you if he/she does stop and help you. If you do know what to do it shouldn't take you that long unless you are completely clue less. Hydraulic oil for power steering is better I never have an issue with it. That's all I know because I always use hydraulic oil for power steering.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.