Practical Miles vs Hub Miles

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Korodoch, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Korodoch

Korodoch Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2017
    So, Company driver here and I am thinking of leaving my company. I noticed a huge discrepancy on how many miles it takes on loads vs the amount compensated. I have a mandatory fuel solution and a route given to me. I do understand the company shouldn't have to compensate me for getting off the freeway to drive a couple of miles to a truck stop at night. I do not understand a discrepancy of 15% on some loads:

CA (Inland Empire) to CO (Denver) - compensated 999, their route 1200.
    SE Houston to a nearby dropyard east of Houston (Deadhead) to NW side of Houston - compensation mileage 30 each way, actual was 90ish.

I asked my DM and they ignored the question. Is this the norm for the industry and I should just accept it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    It's not "the norm" anymore, but this behavior is much improved in the industry today compared to 15-25 years ago where this was almost expected, anywhere you go. Sounds like you need to start putting feelers out for other options. Getting hub miles is not going to happen at many places, and if you find it, they're probably making up for this elsewhere. However, getting "practical truck route" miles is not unreasonable and is found at many carriers today. You will occasionally get screwed on some points but likely will make up for this on another load.

GYPSY65 and Cabinover101 Thank this.
  4. Lucy in the Sky

Lucy in the Sky Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2015
    What your probably talking about is household miles. Household is zip code to zip code and is used for moving companies to determine the rate on a move, and cheap trucking companies to skimp on pay.

Practical miles is like Google map miles. Address to address on a practical route a truck can take.

Hub is based on the wheel hub, or more likely the odometer. It's every stinking mile you drive. Not many companies pay this way. Talked to a driver with poly trucking (they pay hub) and he talked about taking the "long way" because it's more miles for him. This is why companies don't like hub miles.

I'd say most big companies pay hh miles. Smaller companies may pay practical.

jon69, Highway_Executive and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  5. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    I think you're probably running HHG (Household Goods) miles which is zip to zip......in the age of satellites, GPS, and whatnot, it's a major league screw over. At one time, (1938), it made sense, but any more,it's just another way to gyp a driver.

LoneCowboy and addrenjunky Thank this.
  6. addrenjunky

addrenjunky Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2015
    wisconsin
    I work for a company that pays hub miles and I make the same .50 mile loaded or empty. I take the shortest reasonable route. I will never work for a company that pays zip to zip again. When a driver is paid based on miles they should be paid for every mile driven. Anything less is not acceptable.

7. Korodoch

Korodoch Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Well, don't think the calculation is based on zip. The start of the local run's zip is 77029, the end 77038... well it just might be as I punched both of those into a calculator and it came back 0 even if they are 12ish miles apart as the crow flys.

I fully get why they don't want to pay hub miles. Too easy to abuse intentionally (ethically wrong) or not (ignorance).

What I do not get is they call me when I am off route (even if I cut the miles down by 30 or so and I am on a very tight schedule) but do not pay for the miles when I am on it.

Well, I didn't really plan on staying with this company forever anyways and having a few years under my belt is a good thing.

Thanks for the advice.

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I was once at a company that provided routing and requested fuel stops (opti-fuel). For a long time this was all good, as they routed fastest practical truck route and paid those miles and hub was usually within 2-4% of paid miles. Then, they started trying to save money, and would route the longer route (up to I-80, then back down) around toll roads, but paid the shorter route (via PA Turnpike). Gave them 2 opportunities to correct two different trips like that and they didn't. I did not stay long after that.

That not only is cheating me out of wages, it also cost me valuable time against my 70 that could have been used elsewhere.

88228822, HD_Renegade and stwik Thank this.
  9. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    We still pay hub, and even include mileage to and from the house on that, but I can easily see where most companies wouldn't, because it takes a driver that can route plan himself and is not trying to take advantage of the situation, hard to find these days.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    HHG, Household Guide miles. Zipcode to zipcode. It is a given 30 plus years ago you lose about 20% in actual ground miles driven unpaid. Your 999 miles paid versus 1200 actual is perfect example.

If you are being stone cold ignored after a good question like that it's time to look for another company.

Seriously in today's GPS world where they find you to 15 feet anywhere on this wretched planet 24/7 and fill your QC with call me messages after 12 hours of not moving.... they should either pay a salary or shut up and pay actual miles.

I quit bleating about this subject a long time ago. It's a given that people in company payroll bend drivers over a barrel in many ways. It was however good thinking material. If they refuse to pay me 20% that I lose on every trip, maybe I schedule my appointments 20% slower....

88228822, LoneCowboy and Knucklehead Thank this.
  11. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    How does 50cpm practical compare to 40cpm hub?

GYPSY65 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.