Practical Miles Vs. Hub Vs. Shortest

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by drumchaos, Jan 13, 2019.

1. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I am not paid actual miles, I think I am paid the distance between point A and B in a straight line. But I will still clear 80k my first year team driving reefers. Was only guessing I was going to earn about 64-65k.

drumchaos Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    There are all kinds if miles.
    Hub miles pays off the actual miles driven by the odometer.
    House hold or air miles pays the shortest (think the west border of JacksonVille to the east border of Houston)
    Zip to zip pays from post office downtown to post office down town.
    Pc practical pays the most likely route that a truck can take.
    Pc shortest pays the shortest routes a truck COULD take. (Think getting off interstate taking surface roads thru town, then getting on two pane road only to get back on interstate) you might have just spent an hour going 26 miles. But if you have of stayed on interstate it would have been 28 miles.

4. 074344

074344 Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, ca
    This is another glaring example of why 99% of OTR companies are junk! Just another way of stealing money from the driver. Plus, look at all of the free time you give to the company daily. We run PeopleNet ELOG's in our trucks. It knows exactly how many miles I drove that day. I deliver to the same customer Monday-Friday. It's about 345 miles round trip. Obviously, true mileage can be calculated. The drivers only have themselves to blame for allowing this to continue.

JonJon78, p608, PE_T and 4 others Thank this.
  5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    If we drive 2500 miles one week, what shows on our paycheck is probably closer to about 2350 or 2400 miles. It sounds like it averages out to being paid for about 50 minutes of every hour driven. But I also get paid for every pick up which averages out to be about 30.00 per hour of labor. Then I get paid 30.00 for every dock I hit, and 50.00 to unload it all at the end of the week. And we really don't unload, the warehouse guys do it, we just move stuff out of the way. lol

lovesthedrive and drumchaos Thank this.
  6. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    The problem with zip miles is this. Draw two circles. Each circle is 10 miles in diameter with a 20 mile long line between them. Now even tho the shortest distance (as the crow flies) of what the company pays is 30 miles (being half the diameter of the two circles plus the 20 mile line). You will probably have hub miles of 50 miles because you have to go around bridges that are lower than you can go under. Or the fact that something like where I live, there is a bay of water in the way and you have to drive 50 miles to get there driving the periphery of the bay. What their doing is great on paper. Yet stinks if your not being paid for the headaches you have to deal with to get there.

drumchaos and SteerTire Thank this.
  7. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Household miles are most common paid. Zip Code to Zip Code. Post office front door.

I actually read an argument (here I think) about Swift using a completely different model. It didn’t match any of the accepted guidelines. And drivers were being told they had been shown what the load pays. They didn’t have to take it, they could quit if they wanted.

This was a long while back. I don’t know if it was true then or now.

drumchaos Thanks this.
  8. Schoob

Schoob Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2013
    Southeast Mo
    I've found PC Miler practical miles to be more than fair. Sometimes i've even been paid for more miles than I drove. Short miles just knock a nickel to a dime off your pay. If the company says you'll be making .45 a mile call it .37.5 Personally I won't drive for someone paying short miles because if they're okay with shorting you there they will short you every where else. If your just starting out you have to take what you get.

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Swift is still in a lawsuit over how they paid back when I was with them 8 years ago.
    @Lonesome is it this way still?

Anyway, they would pay driver practical mileage which shorted the driver 8% - 10% on pay, but they charged the shipper driveway to driveway. I.E. they had the ability to pay full miles, they just didn't.

lovesthedrive, SteerTire and drumchaos Thank this.
  10. 28

28 Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2015
    One Word...

.... HUB

:Automobile loan:

11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    One word: Hourly :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.