Practical Miles Vs. Hub Vs. Shortest

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by drumchaos, Jan 13, 2019.

1. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I knew there was something. Just couldn’t recall the details. Thanks

I have no F’n clue how mine are calculated. But it averages about 1-2% less than hub. Some days I get way less than what google maps or my GPS show. Other days I get way more.

Still not hub. But better than PCM or HHG.

drumchaos Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteerTire

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Hope you don’t have plans for Christmas. Your gift may be on my truck lol

Pay me by the hour. I’ll cross every T and dot every I. It will take a week for me to complete a 1000 mile run.

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Stopping at truck stops along interstates eats more miles than most realize. Each time you exit off, drive across the interstate and down to the entrance, wind all through the truck stop, and reverse that distance to get back on the interstate, you will easily burn 1.5 to 2 miles (and 5-6 minutes of valuable clock time). And some drivers will do this 3 and 4 times a day. It adds up and I can see carriers not wanting to pay drivers as they trash around, some much more than others.

5. SteerTire

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Speaking of trashing around. I got the proverbial Are you okay to make delivery on time? Call last night.

It seems they didn’t appreciate how many naps I was taking. Or my choice of parking when I called it a day. lol

48 hours to do 823 miles. Firm appointment. It took 47 ;)

88228822 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Why hourly... So they can get away with paying $7.25 (national minimum wage) to $11.00 per hour?... If you add up all the hours from the time I leave the yard until the time I get back 5 to 7 days later, then subtract 8 hours for every night I spend away from home... I average about $14.55 per hour. I'd say that is pretty #### good.

88228822 Thanks this.
  7. Schoob

Schoob Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2013
    Southeast Mo
    Sounds like you are paid PC Miler Practical Miles. Short of being paid actual hub miles it's the best you could hope for.

drumchaos Thanks this.
  8. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    most carriers are paid a flat rate per load and the fuel surcharge is based of the book miles and they pay there drivers on those miles

9. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    My carrier is PC practical miler. I think what they do is take the shipper address and put in the consignee address and figure the shortest reasonable truck route to the consignee. For me it is usually pretty close to what I actually do. Not Hub miles but very close. I do actually get Hub miles for oversized loads because I have no choice but to follow the permitted route which is almost always longer than it would be normally.

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  10. 074344

074344 Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, ca
    So $14.55 per hour is a good wage for you? Really? My average work week for 5 days is 50 hours give or take. Using your figures, it gives me around $727.50 per week. Is that what you are really settling for? I f it is and it works for you, you have found your perfect company.

11. SteerTire

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    It’s great wages, if it’s done like my former oilfield days. Clock doesn’t stop until you’re back at the yard.

We would be on OT by the end of day 2.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.