pre and post trip pay

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jfarrar24, Apr 1, 2012.

1. joeycool

joeycool Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Allentown, PA
    None of what you say makes sense. What does family and country have to do with it?

And if your company pays you to sweep their trailers, why wouldn't you want the money - "because it's part of my job" - really?? Driving is part of your job, why not do that for free too?

If my company can't turn a profit while paying me fairly, then they should go out of business. There are plenty of other companies that will hire me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Like others said it depends if he paid by the hour or cents per mile.

But usually drivers will do one thorough inspection and the second one consists of a quick walk around. How do you pay someone for a couple minutes? That's being a little too critical.

OTR drivers do all kinds of added work that's suppose to be included in cpm. It's not right from a driver's or human perspective, but the DOL says we are exempt from many labor laws. If he's hourly, then it's a different story.

4. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    If you want to be paid for every little thing, such as doing a federally mandated pre trip or fueling, etc., then the company would merely lower your mileage rate to offset the higher costs. Carriers may not separate out each item, but you are really paid for it. If you don't want to do the pre trip without being paid extra then you could skip the pre trip and take a chance on getting a ticket. If a light goes out or a wheel seal leaks and is caught by the DOT then you will lose much more with fines and sitting waiting on a repair truck.

DrtyDiesel and Licensed to kill Thank this.
  5. Everett

Everett Crusty Shorts, What???

Oct 20, 2009
    Hampton,Ia
    well it's like any other job out there, not just in trucking, wake up and smell the coffee, my job is at a warehouse work, and i been there almost 6 years, one person who has a one year more then me is quiting, guess what i move up and guess what i got his job , plus 5 more hat's too wear ever day, so no matter what job you have, you could have up to 15 differnt hats related to that job and still get paid for one job, thats part of the work force :biggrin_2556::biggrin_25524::biggrin_25525:

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  6. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    If you are paid hourly wages, then it is not right for them to require that they get "the 1st hour free"

If you are paid mileage or percentage then it is part of the job, so not much you can do and honestly they are not "getting it free" since as stated before, it's required to complete your job and make the pay.

Licensed to kill and Tazz Thank this.
  7. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    Whatever they told you BEFORE you accepted the job, if they told you one thing then did another...

Quit.

8. BigJim1937

BigJim1937 Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Fargo,ND
    wow seems to be a lot of sniveling over what would amount to under $5.00 of your time. But if you feel that taken advantage of then do not do a pre-trip. Sit there for an hour not doing a dam thing. There are a lot of things to be done that just have to be done. I guess just ask yourself what if I did not do the pre-trip because they do not pay me for it, get to a scale be put OOS, and try to explain to the DOT how something that should have been found was not, as they are writing you up. Or try to explain to the trooper how it was you lost a set of duels that smashed into the car in the opposing lane. Your call.

9. Yatista

Yatista Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Upstate New York

If you don't like the pay plan you agreed to when you were hired, why did you take the job. If you didn't know how you were being paid when you took the job, well that would speak for itself. If you don't know (understand) all of the details required of your job, perhaps there is some other issue.

Your not going to get rich driving OTR as a company driver, but it is your responsibility to understand what you have agreed to do and how you will be paid for your efforts. Different companies offer different benefits and methods of calculating your compensation. Find the company that fits your needs.

10. joeycool

joeycool Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Allentown, PA
    $5 might not seem like much, but when you multiply that by 5 times a week for 50 weeks a year, you're losing $1250 for the year. But then a lot of members on this forum seem to be pretty ignorant when it comes to anything having to do with compensation and/or personal finance.

Tazz and SHC are right, but either way, the OP just got a pay decrease. I've never had a pay decrease, but if I did, I wouldn't be happy about it either.

11. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven

nope, that is incorrect. the country was built first by white europeans settlers who pushed the indians off their land.

the slaves were brought in later to up production.

but frankly , i believe if they had known how it would turn out, they would have picked their own cotton.

DrtyDiesel and rhughegg Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.