Pre & Post Trip Inspections Required?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PE_T, Jun 19, 2018.

1. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    I meant exactly what I said. It’s clear to me that a inspection must be done.....except for a MC with only a single truck and trailer. Since the OP did not state he had a single truck and single trailer, and since I doubt he has a mechanic doing the inspections every day, it remains my position that the OP must perform his own inspections.

Where is the confusion? What am I missing?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    spyder7723 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. reefertank

reefertank Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    If you run out of hours, say that your at a shipper and you're at 14.5 hours... you personal conveyance to a truck stop... how are you able to do a post trip inspection without logging on (e-log)? If you log, you violate.

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    How would it be a violation? HOS restricts driving time, not on duty time. You would have to start your 10 hour after going off duty from the post trip, but no violations occurred.
    One can work 168 hours strait in a week (after getting out of the hospital for a heart attack) the same person can do a 34 and be 100% legal to drive with a new 70.

Bean Jr. and brian991219 Thank this.
  5. yeah305

yeah305 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2020
    question how do you log a post trip inspection on duty or do you just flagg it at the end ofthe day if im not mistaken i remember back the fmcsa stated it did not have to be logged just flagged is this still the case. thanks

6. reefertank

reefertank Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    Oh ####, I didn't know that... what a rookie move on my part. So I could drive 11 hours and then do a post trip on the 15th hour without violation since its on-duty and now drive. I thought these rules applied working hours, not just drive.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Obviously you can't drive without the correct break (usually 10 hours). Which is what I said....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.