Pre-trip & Post-trip reports

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by LogsRus, Oct 12, 2007.

Do you do the pre-trip or post-trip in writting?

1. *

Does your company require you to fill out the pre-trip inspection form (DDVIR) in writting or see 2

51.2%
  2. *

Does your company require you to do the post-trip inspection form(DDVIR) in writting

63.4%
  1. n4mgr

n4mgr Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Silver City, NM
    This is another falsehood.

§396.13 Driver inspection.
    Before driving a motor vehicle, the driver shall:
    (a) Be satisfied that the motor vehicle is in safe operating condition;
    (b) Review the last driver vehicle inspection report; and
    (c) Sign the report, only if defects or deficiencies were noted by the driver who prepared the report, to acknowledge that the driver has reviewed it and that there is a certification that the required repairs have been performed. The signature requirement does not apply to listed defects on a towed unit which is no longer part of the vehicle combination.

Only one is required to be logged for 15 min and most carriers request this be the Post Trip. The Pre Trip should not take but about 5 minutes to walk around and make sure nothing has been tampered with during your break. The Post Trip should include a full inspection and anything found fixed immediately if possible and in not ASAP.

I just spoke with 1st Sgt. Massey with NC SHP Motor Carrier Enforcement in Raleigh who said the Feds change the logging requirement some time ago. The Pre Trip still has to be done, but no time logged for it. Just show that you did a Pre Trip in your remarks section at the time and location you start your day. At the end of your day, show a 15 minute Post Trip.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Wow someone else who actually is on the same page as me!

4. redrocker1055

redrocker1055 Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2006
    michigan
    What i was always taught is you are required by law to a.preform and b. log it as at least 15min. however a real pre-trip should take you at last 30 min to do. and if a dot pulls you over he will test that you can to it in 15min, is that true? i don't know because i have never been pulled over by the dot.

5. n4mgr

n4mgr Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Silver City, NM
    The feds changed this a few years ago so there isn't anything to worry about. All states are enforcing it the same. No requirement for 15 min pre trip, only 15 min post trip. You should be doing a thorough post trip and basically a walk around as your pre trip. Notice the wording of the regulation. They just want you to be sure your equipment is safe to drive.

6. redrocker1055

redrocker1055 Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2006
    michigan
    Thanks, i havent filled out a log in well over four years, but when i did i always loged 30min. I realy don't miss doing them at all.

7. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

In response to this post and others stating the requirement is to log the POST and flag the pre trip.... I've always since day one logged a pre trip and went about my day, logging off at the end of the day. During the mandatory DOT audit we had when we first got our authority to all the road side level ones and other inspections NOT ONCE has any officer said any thing about me doing it wrong.
    If the gooberment changed the rules on that, it sure hasn't filtered down to the guys doing the inspections. Believe me I've had some real anal types doing a few of the inspections. They were looking for any thing could bust a driver on.

8. BumpInTheRoad

BumpInTheRoad <strong>Zippy</strong>

Feb 8, 2007
    On Life's Highways

I have always showed 15 min. for a per trip, and plan not to change this , c.y.a.

9. n4mgr

n4mgr Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Silver City, NM
    You are obviously looking to do things different from what the DOT allows. If you want to know, ask the officer at one of the scales and clear up your ignorance. They all operate off the same "blueprint" and will tell you if the 15 minute pre trip is required or not. I asked the NCSHP Motor Carrier enforcement office in Raleigh(Headquarters) about it and he said it had been changed years ago. You obviously know more than the DOT so go ahead.

10. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

Ask any DOT officer at any scale and you will get many answers. There are people in those jobs that only do as they feel they should. Some of these guys have no clue of the laws and you can show them the rules and explain it to them.

As long as a pre trip is shown and post trip is shown, DOT is happy. I have been to the Regional office of the Federal DOT and this is what they have said.

11. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Nice attitude you got there.

You couldn't be more wrong about me. I was only stating what my experience has been.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.