Pre-trip & Post-trip reports

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by LogsRus, Oct 12, 2007.

Do you do the pre-trip or post-trip in writting?

1. *

Does your company require you to fill out the pre-trip inspection form (DDVIR) in writting or see 2

51.2%
  2. *

Does your company require you to do the post-trip inspection form(DDVIR) in writting

63.4%
  1. 379 Peterbilt

379 Peterbilt Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Lets say you are off duty all day untill 8:00 pm, then you are to begin a trip somewhere. At 8 pm, a flag is shown for the PTI, then driving from 8-12 midnight. Obviously, in this senario there has not been a 15 min inspection logged. So, are we supposed to stop at 11:45 pm just to do a vehicle inspection? It would make more sense to just log the 15 min insp from 8:00-8:15......Then again, that would make far too much sense to be applied in todays world. Man, this is profoundly deep stuff!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JBCUDA

JBCUDA Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Oldsmar FL
    I'am A Newbee,but Going To School Our Instructor Who Did Everything By The Book Told Us Pti Inspect Everything Fill Out Report If There Is Somthing Major Wrong Get It Fixed.you Can't Always See Problems In Darkness No Mater How Bright The Flash Light Is.filling Out That Report After Pti Will Insure If Stopped By D.o.t. You Are Doing Your Job.some Drivers Think All They Have To Do Is Drive From Point A To B There Wrong.post Trip, Inspect Everything, 15 Min On Logs Must Be Shown For Both If Not Shown D.o.t Could Fine You.also Mvi Every 3 Hrs Or 150 Mi. For A Box,less For A Flat Bed.must Be Shown In Logs Mvi Is For Walk Around Inspection Takes Less Than 10 Min.besides You Need To Get Out And Stretch Those Legs.they Always Said If Your To Laze To Do This Every Day You Should Not Be Behind The Wheel.i Don't Know Why Any Co.would Not Make There Drivers Fill Out Reports Or Why Drivers Wouldn't Want To It's The Only Way To Cover Your ###. If Something Goes Wrong

4. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Wrong, must show at least 15 min for pretrip, but I do not show 15 min on post. I flag it only. This is our co policy and I have had level 3 inspections by DOT

5. 379 Peterbilt

Nov 12, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Stopping every 3 hours or 150 miles for a motor vehicle inspection? Where are you guys getting this stuff???

Maybe it would be ultimately the safest to just never even leave the yard to begin with.

6. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    We do load checks every 150 miles, 5o after a load. I do 1 hr and then 3 hours. I think the poster meant load checks not vehicle inspect. 150 miles is DOT regs.

7. 379 Peterbilt

Nov 12, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Ah, yes, flatbedding. That explains it better.

8. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

Imagine, you are pulling a van and a young DOT officer stops you and asks when the last time you checked your load was. You just point to the seal and say how do you check it?

9. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    But what about the driver who is a night driver? He would be doing his/her pre-trip in the dark?

DOT Regulations clearly states you must fill out the form for the post-trip inspection and sign only if defects and defiencies was repaired on the pre-trip inspection.

There is no regulations that state you must inspect the vechicle every 150 miles (that was haz-mat and they even changed haz-mat to "WHEN" you "STOP" you inspect the vehicle).

The teacher sounds old skool to me? Maybe I am wrong?

I know we went through a DOT audit about 3 times in 7 years and had no problem with the way our drivers was inpsecting or logging their pre-trips/post-trips.

10. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    150 miles "was" a DOT regulation on haz-mat loads. This is no longer a regulation since 911 (well shortly after them threats of using haz-mat loads to destroy the usa) they state now only when you stop to do whatever you do. If you stop to pee you inspect that equipment.
    They don't want you to stop as much as possible with Haz-mat more chances of you being hi-jacked.:yes2557:

11. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

NoTarps hauls flatbed and they do check them more often and I believe there is a requirement on that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.