Prebuy checklist?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by RollinThunderVet, Dec 4, 2019.

1. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Hahahaha... neither am I! Where is that at?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    I have no problem with differing opinions. This is a prime example of useful information. Maybe if the other guy took a moment say what you just did, it wouldnt have gotten so hot in the kitchen.
    As far as what you just described, would you think a 40T mech, with hookups for a 3rd axle and a 29ft well would be ideal?
    As I said, I dont mind the detach process. I'm just concerned with the point someone else brought up, which was the lack of height adjustments for clearing driveways and RR crossings and such. I understand the rear will still have over inflation capacity. But the mech neck wont be adjustable will it?

4. old iron

old iron Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Northern Wi
    Minnesota. The white stuff got imported from Northern Ontario.
    The border agent had to run his geiger counter around the truck to make sure I wasn't smuggling radioactive material with the rock. (Granite from that region gives off isotopes and red flags their sensors).
    He come back in the building laughing saying I could very well be smuggling contraband but he wasn't going to shovel to find out.

stwik, cke, RollinThunderVet and 3 others Thank this.
  5. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    Hahhahahaha... that's awesome. Didnt the snow add a couple tons to the weight?

6. Kawinige01

Kawinige01 Heavy Load Member

May 30, 2016
    South Fla
    Is the 19% the FET??

7. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    Yea. 12% FET + 7% sales tax here in GA. If the company buys the trailer for me, its 10% sales tax.

8. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    So I assume you're leased to a company. Do they have any rgn freight? If so, I believe I would purchase a trailer tailored to the freight that they have. If not, you are completely on your own in regard to rgn freight. If you can afford to support the rgn purchase with your current trailer then I guess make your purchase according to what you would like to haul.

You certainly don't need a heavy spec truck to haul up to what you can permit with a 6 axle outfit. I could permit up to 138k here on 6, and pulled it with a 15 speed/4.10 rears no problem, even having to start loads off road in soft conditions.

9. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    I do run under a their #s, but I am one of only 2 out of 50 that runs open deck. The other flat, doesnt do OS/OW. So it's all on me, although the owner has expressed interest in bringing on other step/rgn trucks because of the success he sees with me.
    So that's why I'm trying to narrow down the best option for the new trailer to be as versatile as possible. Really liking the new XL110 low profile, but not sure I wanna lock into a 120k trailer right at the beginning.
    So I'm trying to locate a good 45-55 ton with a 26ft deck and no higher than 22" LDH. Or a mechanical tandem, with a flip and a 29-30ft deck. still unsure about the mech, but it all depends on what's available in the market.
    Yea I really dont care to get really heavy. 80k tops until I regear. Again, just would like to be able to grow I to a setup, and not have to buy another trailer in a year or 2. Maybe that is how I should be planning though?

10. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    I found something odd, and I'm hoping you guys can make sense of it.
    The listing says it has a 40ft deck. So I'm assuming it's a modular? Otherwise it would have to be 56-58ft long without the neck flip or third axle down.
    I dont see hook ups on the neck for hydraulics, so I'm assuming its mechanical?
    I'm gonna try to get more info from TK tomorrow.

2005 TRAIL KING TK9MDG532 45 Ton T/A Lowboy | Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers

11. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    It is a mechanical neck and it looks like it’s a 40’ deck, it’s not a modular so it is what it is. That’s a specialty trailer that’s not for running spot market freight.

honest question, are you sure your ready to do something like this? You’re still new at this business with a lot to learn.

Snake Farmer and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.