Prebuy checklist?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by RollinThunderVet, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Landincoldfire

Landincoldfire Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    Man. That's a lot of deck.

We have a couple of Fontaine 3 axle stretch magnitudes with 31 foot wells and they are a challenge to get around. I'd probably suggest something like this as it one so many options. But your empty weight is gonna be close to 45k.

RollinThunderVet and Oxbow Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    To be honest I'm always a little nervous and anxious when I put large or expensive loads on my step deck. To a certain degree I hope I never lose that. It tells me I respect what I'm handling. I've always been very analytical in all of my work. So yea, I think I'm ready. Let's be honest, 80% of step/flat loads are the same stuff. Vehicle here, crate there just different sizes. Granted that RGN is similar a little bit, it's a lot more involved, and that's what I love. RGN has always been my endgame. The step was just practical application experience and demonstrating to the company that its something I can handle.

You and @Landincoldfire seem to differ in opinions on this. I agree with the length and weight restrictions of this setup. I worry about total length/weight, breakover points, and such. But a LOT of things could fit into a 40ft well and I like the fact that it has the neck extension and 3rd axle.

just wanted to ask yall because I value your insight.

4. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    Also let me ask this. If I'm understanding this correctly the trailer side of an RGN is the same with regard to hyd/mech, obviously within the same brand. Would it be move beneficial to swap the neck for a hydraulic one to give more adjustability on breakover points?

5. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    they are not the same connections - you can not swap necks.

and you will not be able to run a 40’ in the well trailer for General freight - that trailer is goin to be almost 70’ long. Even folded up with the flip neck and flip axle your inner bridge is going to be well over 50’

cke, beastr123 and RollinThunderVet Thank this.
  6. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    Roger that. So that's why you see more extenables than long 1pc decks? Permit for the load, then slide back under 53ft total length?

Makes sense, just curious because I've seen a few trailers with 60+ ft.
    So stick this in the same category as 9-10fr wide trailers. Thanks guys.

7. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    Ok, it's not a 40ft deck.. its 34'10"
    Overall length is 53ft.
    TK sent me the build sheet, I'll attach it here.

Attached Files:

Oxbow Thanks this.
  8. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    That makes more sense than a 40' deck, might be right for you.

Are you well versed in how to use a mechanical neck? You will need lowboy ramps on your tractor, and you are using the the tractor to lift the load. Many guys get along great with mechanicals, but they are harder on the tractor and can be a real challenge in snow.

cke Thanks this.
  9. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    Yea I really dont plan on doing much in the snow. I dont have lockers, other than the axle interlock, so I'd imagine imma have a tough time in any low traction environment.
    Still not sure about the mech tho. I'm mostly worried about not having the hydraulics to assist in navigating RR crossings or off angle turns.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  10. Landincoldfire

Landincoldfire Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    The three axle company trucks here don't even have ramps on their tractors and they hook up to mechanical necks just fine.

Our four axle trucks are equipped with an over air switch to supply more air to the rear air bags to raise them. Always nice to have the option to raise the back of the tractor as well as lower it.

11. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Learn something new every day. I thought ramps were pretty much required.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.