Prehire letters

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Grandiego, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Grandiego

Grandiego Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Thanks. No Werner for me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Himes3328

Himes3328 Light Load Member

Nov 30, 2007
    MILTON, FLORIDA
    I hear Maverick is good...I have heard Werner are bad for there log books....truck Q-com beeps if your a minute over 11 or 14 hr rule....paperless logs...but they are anal about 11 and 14 noway around it because it's on Q-comm..2 or 3 times of Q-comm beeping at you and they fire you...this came from one of there drivers they fired..:biggrin_2553:

4. Grandiego

Nov 2, 2007
    I am outside Maverick's hiring area but thanks anyway.

5. Grandiego

Nov 2, 2007
    Criticism is easy. How do people know when they're doing good or being helpful? You have to say something.

Yes, being corrected is good. I'd rather have access to information than censorship, even if what I'm hearing is an opinion I don't care for. The more information, the better. Along those lines, here is what I've found about some of the trucking companies out there:

Company Requirements

WSE 160 hr PDTI school
    Crete/Shaffer 160 hr PDTI school
    Gainey 6 mos experience
    Roehl must live S of I94
    TMC must live S of I94
    Maverick must live S of I94
    Marten 160 hr PDTI school and
    must live S of I94

Local companies usually require 1-2 years experience. Given my situation (I live N of I94 and went to a non PDTI school) I chose Schneider. Hopefully everything will go well and I'll start my new career on the 8th. It'll be a big change since I've been an electrician since 1994.

6. Himes3328

Himes3328 Light Load Member

Nov 30, 2007
    MILTON, FLORIDA
    I have no school....outside of OLD school...Got my CDL years ago and no recent TRAC/TRLR experience...Hoping for the best but will probably get the worst....The one and only HOBO:biggrin_25511:

7. wc5b

wc5b Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Flint, MI
    Awsome! I wish you luck. I am happy you ended up with someone more trusted then most. Yes, the trucks are a bit on the slow side, but I am confident they will train you right. And remember my most important advice, DO NOT QUIT until you complete a year (or contract) with them. With your school that no one likes, it will move aside the school with your experiance at that point.

8. IUfanforever

IUfanforever Light Load Member

May 31, 2007
    Schneider, USA Truck and Arrow are all pretty decent for entry level positions. If it was me...I'd go with one of them.

Stay away from Covenant unless you get really desperate...and most will say the same about Swift.

I have never heard of RE West before.

Remember though...these are all entry level compaines. Pick one, put a year or two in...then move on with a solid resume. In most cases you aren't going to get the best of the best job fresh out of school.

9. Grandiego

Nov 2, 2007
    Hey, thanks. I'm going in with a good attitude. I'll do my best to not to let any setbacks or bad attitudes get to me. Don't have a problem with paying my dues---I've done it before. Last place I worked I stayed 9 years. Stability is not a problem. Been dealing with layoffs the last couple of years and had been thinking about truck driving for almost 20 years. Now seemed like the right time to take the plunge. Was stationed on Iwo Jima in 1980s while in the Coast Guard, so being away from home won't be difficult for me. My biggest concern is the adjustment my family will have to make. Got a wife, kids, dog, cats, chickens. And the garden (apple trees, pear trees, blackberries, etc) will likely suffer. On the other hand, whenever I'm gone for a period of time it makes me appreciate the things I have even more. I'll have to substitute quantity for quality time at home.

I have nothing bad to say about my school. It was approved by the Michigan unemployment agency. The teachers were excellent and the front office people were and continue to be helpful. The PDTI certification is the only problem but I think they're working on that.

10. Grandiego

Nov 2, 2007

Thanks for your input. Those are the 3 companies I was considering before deciding on Schneider.

I was very impressed by the professionalism of the recruiter for RE West when I saw her in October but couldn't get enough info on RE West to make a decision. If you are a nonsmoker, they might hook you up with a smoking mentor.

11. wc5b

wc5b Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Flint, MI
    I know what you mean. I am ex-navy. If you are ex-costie, you will do just fine. You just don't sweat the small stuff, roll with the B.S. sometimes, and other then that, its your show.

Old Iwa Jima, I was there for the ceremony they did a few years back. The place makes you humble as soon as you see it come into view. Am I right or am I right. WOOPS almost teared up there, better cut that off now. LOL

Anchors away on that land yacht shipmate. Good luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.