Preparing for In-frame Please help!

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 7mouths2feed, Sep 21, 2010.

1. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    I am preparing to do an in-frame on my 2002 N-14 C+. I welcome all suggestions of do's and don'ts, tips and tricks. Tools you must have and home built items you can use. If you have any thoughts about doing an in-frame please post your comments.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. grizzly

grizzly Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Layton, Ut
    The specialty tools you will need are a liner puller and a large torque wrench. You will need something to lift the head off with. Get a sheet of plywood and cut it in half, lay it lengthwise along your drives so you have someplace to lay the parts you are going to reuse . Make sure you have plenty of rags on hand. Most of all take your time and have fun.

7mouths2feed Thanks this.
  4. country29

country29 Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Arkansas
    this is not for the faint of heart! if you have a good mechanical knowledge of the n14, I would get some torque specs for all major components,(connecting rods, mains, head bolts and sequence, timing procedures) and any material for any special procedures. I would also talk to a good mechanic or shop, if you know 1 that would be able to give you advise, and access to any printed material or procedures you may need. also a way to keep sensitive parts clean while out of the engine, and lots of brake clean, oil and rags.

5. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    Duct tape, Bailing twine, and a Big Hammer,............:biggrin_2559:

Honestly I have no idea,....But I'm sure you'll figure it out and have fun with it,...

6. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    If you have access to steel, threaded rod, a grinder and steel band saw, you can make your own liner puller. Or, you can use a block of wood and a BFH.

7. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Keep everything nice and clean when you reassemble it. Use an assembly lube on the bearings and pre-lube the top end with some motor oil before you crank it up.

The last Cummins I had a chance to help rebuild was a 335 in a '66 K100... we did it in the westbound rest area on I-80 in Iowa east of Altoona... I would imagine the state would frown on that today!

8. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    Man, I'm impressed. That's something I'd never consider doing myself. But those of you who know me probably understand why.
    Good luck and give it hell!

9. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese

Hey,....I was almost sort of right then,..................:biggrin_2559:

stranger Thanks this.
  10. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Do N14's still have the rocker boxes like the earlier NTC engine? If so, it may be a good idea to have those checked out, too.

11. RW.

RW. Heavy Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    west central IL
    7mouths, what brought on the need for an overhaul? Just a lot of miles, or did it start doing something bad? Good luck with it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.