Press the issue or let it go?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by copperdome, Nov 16, 2019.

1. copperdome

copperdome Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2019
    E3194D2C-3176-4D4C-8A10-E10ACCB80D10.png This is petty, but I just wanted some different opinions on this. I haul sawdust. I have the type of tarp that pulls back on cables from the front to the back... ( not a auto roller not a side twister etc etc ) The guys at the mill frequently overload the trailer to the point you can’t tarp it because they bury the tarp under a couple tons of dust. It generally gets under my skin because then I have to drive it looking like a lazy arse that can’t tarp his load, not to mention I can get a ticket for that.

All that aside, the other day when they did it, I was so angry that they did it yet again, I got up there and yanked the tarp as hard as I could trying to cover the dust that it snapped a cable and a few of the links and broke the tarp.

When I let my boss know what happened, he more or less insinuated that the reason the tarp got busted was that they loaded in on it because I didn’t pull it back after I dumped it. That really ticked me off because I pulled it back and pulled down the bungee cord to hold it back like I always do. Not to mention I’ve spent a lot of time on the side of the road digging out tarps.

After he told me in so many words that it was my fault, I told him that he could look at the cameras at the mill and see me unhook the bungee cord, and have the end of the tarp in my hands, so no, it wasn’t my fault. It got loaded onto and that’s essentially what broke it.

A day went by or so and it came up in conversation again and he said again, in kind of a smart off way “no, it was my fault I should have taught you to pull the tarps back when I trained you, I just assumed you knew to do that.”

That REALLY got under my skin. I’ve been doing this a few months and several hundred loads have had no tarp issue other than me not being able to tarp an overloaded trailer. I obviously have been pulling the tarps back, because if a tarp is all the way across the trailer and gets loaded on, it breaks it every time, and he knows that. He may as well outright called me a liar. There’s almost nothing that I hate worse is someone insinuating I’m lying.

So my question to you guys is, should I let this slide off my back, say something to his boss, or look for a new job? In the grand scheme of things it’s no big deal, but if this was someone in a bar or someone I didn’t know saying this stuff to me, they would have been punched in the mouth.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rjjr1963

rjjr1963 Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2019
    These little things add up and you'll eventually snap especially if the guy keeps nagging about it. I don't know anything about you or your financial situation so I can't say what to do. But if it were me I'd come right back over the top at him. The guys doesn't respect you.

4. copperdome

Oct 10, 2019
    My finances aren’t that great at the moment but currently my take on the situation is that I was looking for a job when I found this one.

5. rjjr1963

rjjr1963 Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2019
    Keep looking and move on. Good luck!!

6. copperdome

Oct 10, 2019
    I appreciate it... I’m not sure if I’m gonna go that far yet. I love the job other than the fact that the mill needs to learn how to load a trailer and the company needs to understand that every time something happens it’s not automatically the driver’s fault.

Dino soar, Coffey and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  7. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    there is your answer

8. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    If you cant ge the tarp out of the way then it is your headache, Sorry I know it isnt what you wanted to hear. Yet you should have also refused to drive the truck where I can see a mud flap that should be repaired.

Jobs require work. If that job doesnt please you then you need to move on. I am sure the fellow can find some one else that is willing to work.

LoSt_AgAiN, Dennixx and Coffey Thank this.
  9. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Why can't your trailer be loaded in such a manner that it avoids burying or damaging the tarp? That's the real problem here.

Sounds like you are in a no-win situation with the boss. He is definitely lacking empathy right now.

10. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    They do that because it settles down in a few miles and this way they get more weight into the trailer.. But this loader has a issue with either the driver or his company other older fellows would tune him in for that carelessness ..

11. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Then I dare say this loader is damaging company equipment and that needs addressing.

201, Coffey and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.