Pretty much goes without saying....

Discussion in 'Other News' started by drvrtech77, Apr 24, 2021.

1. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Well I was just kidding around with him trying to stay out of the drama. But since you ask....I want neither.

Go to work, and earn a paycheck. Simple.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Well..... of course there are lazy people in every generation! But don't blame me because your generation had bad parents. And don't use that as an excuse either! Because there are many successful people who had dirt bag parents. Some people have had easier lives than others.. However it all comes down to hard work! I have worked hard my entire life. I have excellent credit, I own a house and I worked hard for everything that I have. So I am the wrong person to bring up excuses to. I am not blaming anyone, I am talking about all the people wanting everything for doing nothing....

4. Jaebo74

Jaebo74 Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2021
    You did indeed blame millennials. Millennials is not necessarily a catch all term for lazy people. It's usually reserved for a group of people under 35 and older than 16 as it stands right now. I've seen super ####ing lazy people wanting handouts in every generation I've seen. At least most of the millennials that I've dealt with were hard working and trying to make their way in life. Were they unprepared? Sure they most were. Do most of them deserve to be lumped in with all of the bad #### we see on tv everyday? No because just like every other generation there are good and bad. From my perspective they're better than what is referred as gen x.

5. bad-luck

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I agree, there are lazy people in every generation. I admit I don't know the age group definition for millenials. So let me rephrase. First I am not blaming anyone, if people don't want to work thats their problem. I am in my early 50's, not all that old.. I find a lot young people these days that don't want to work. It also seems to me that a lot of college students expect something for nothing.

6. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Thats a lovely sentiment, but also not on the table. There was literally NO politician in congress or senate that refused to vote for any unemployment extension expansion or govt check. Plenty that said they didnt want to but ultimately did.

Id also wager even 5 years from now or 2 years ago no one in office is even going to raise the proposal to simply end unemployment benefits without replacing it with something, and if they did the chances of it getting to a vote much less passing are so close to 0 its a rounding error.

My question is, given those things being true
    A. Unemployment as it is or even was over a year ago
    B. Ubi

C "none of the above"
    is not an option. Thats the point of the question, given 2 choices you dont like, which has less downsides.
    For me the answer is clear, ubi lacks most of the downsides of unemployment.

What i was driving at is that its pretty weird to present something thats better as a worse option or something to be ridiculed more

Jaebo74 Thanks this.
  7. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    You missed the point of my post that got you riled up in the first place. You want to argue? Find a fence post.

People that want UBI are just a bunch of lazy ####s. Period. They will benefit from it, while people like me fund it. It's blanket welfare. I'm not giving the fed five grand, getting back two grand, and seeing my other three grand get spent on Starbucks and kale.

TokyoJoe, Trucker61016 and AModelCat Thank this.
  8. Jaebo74

Feb 4, 2021
    A lot of the people you're referring to are fooled into believing that they can get a job tomorrow on YouTube making the big bucks. Some actually think that you should make $15 hr for a menial (read stepping stone) job, it isn't all of their fault though, they're bombarded with this ######## everyday in TV and the internet by the same great people that brought you the Green New Deal.

nredfor88 and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  9. Jaebo74

Feb 4, 2021
    Unemployment insurance, at least before covid plans, was paid for by the employer. At one time, was limited to a certain amount of time. I see this as a far better plan to the UBI. Our boy Clinton also signed into law (albeit by great persuasion) that welfare was only temporary too. This got undone by following presidents one being Bush. Both are better than UBI, if nothing else for the reasons that @god_prefers_diesels has stated.
    I also don't feel like shoveling out $5000 to get back $2000.

10. bad-luck

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland

You maybe right.

11. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    You prefer to hand over 5 receive none back and all of it spent on kale amd starbucks?

Thats the point.

People that want a sane ubi want it to replace crappy things that dont work well and have poor incentive structures to work. It allows a safety net to exist with none of the administrative burden and stupidity that our current hodgepodge of poorly thought out welfare programs have.

You want your money in your pocket, you probably know better how to use it than i do to help you. I agree, thats why on the merits, calling ubi worse than food stamps is pretty odd.

My lazy keister will butt out now, musta been the exhaust break i fixed an hr ago that had me thinking it was worth bringing up a policy debate.

Oh wait, im lazy though, i must not have fixes it yet, probably im waiting on a shop to do so. /s
    20210426_171534.jpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.