Preventable accident?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mototom, May 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    No. Your issue is you want to be right. Even when everyone has clearly shown why you are wrong.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    IF you drove on the landscaping.........100% preventable. Just own it and move forward. Chalk it up as a learning experience.

slow.rider and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  4. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    If driving on the lawn was the only way to bump that dock.......Why aren't there 100 tire tracks on that lawn?

ZVar, Wasted Thyme and slow.rider Thank this.
  5. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    I only asked about the immediate area next to the concrete. Because like I was explaining with driving a mixer truck damage from weight should not fall to a driver. (Provided he is where he should be using caution)

The ruts are another matter any idiot with a shovel and pair of tennis shoes could make them disappear.
    Calling a set of small ruts property damage is something you’d only ever see in a city.

6. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    Ok...... I'll play along. You did absolutely nothing wrong. As a matter of fact, your boss should give you a nice fat $500.00 bonus check and nominate you for driver of the month.

7. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Thanks hire me?
    Y’all would explode if you’d have seen one of our concrete guys knock an entire stack of concrete forms down after the hillside collapsed.

Everyone should do 6months hauling concrete it would make y’all loosen up and see stuff for what it is.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  8. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    You said the collapsed asphalt caused the truck to go off into the dirt. But that's not what happened. What actually happened was the driver caused the truck to go off into the dirt, and some asphalt collapsed in the process.

Doesn't matter whether or not it was an expensive repair. What matters is whether or not it was preventable. The correct answer is yes.

If I'm the fleet owner, I'm asking myself, "what if there was a minivan full of kids, instead of just some grass? This nimrod driver wouldn't have known either way, because he obviously didn't get out and look."

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    Magoo1968 Thanks this.
  9. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    #1 We are not hauling concrete.
    #2 I do not want to haul concrete.....ever.
    #3 Why aren't YOU still hauling concrete.
    #4 Have you ever taken responsibility for a mistake in your life? That is what happened......you made a mistake. You didn't injure yourself or anybody else. That is a good thing. Why are you so adamant about not taking any responsibility. Safety certainly would not fire anyone for what you did.......unless.......the driver tried to argue his/ her side the way you have done on this forum. If I were the "Safety Critter" (I love that term), I would listen to your incredibly weak argument for about one minute, then I would give you one more chance to take responsibility, if you continued your nonsense.......I would fire you. A bit harsh......maybe......but you are still fired.

skytrash and slow.rider Thank this.
  10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I have said this many times in these forums as well as others. There are many areas all across the US where the infrastructure is old and not setup for these 53 footers, or for that matter shorter size trailers with these new extended tractors. I remember once having to dock on a busy city street and have almost all my tractor sticking out onto the street. What I did was dropped my trailer and bobtailed to a place out of the way. I have refused to dock in some places over the years. I knew better and once the dock supervisor saw I was not going to budge either came up with a solution or sent me away. Common sense should guide when dealing with these very tight places. As a driver you should also do your best to avoid edges, heck I tell drivers all the time to stay off the outer edges of interstate highways. Quite honestly if I were to get fired I much rather it be for refusing to yank a stupid than for yanking that stupid! Give that some serious thought!

Just passing by and slow.rider Thank this.
  11. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    In other words, everybody but you is wrong? Everybody but you is making faulty judgements and everybody but you isn't looking at things the right way?
    People here are trying to help you. The only enemy you have here is yourself. So far.

And for what it's worth I drove a mixer for about a year. It didn't make me a better truck driver. Or a worse one either.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.