Pride Transport

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by ToxikJuggalo, Nov 3, 2010.

1. pilottravel2002

pilottravel2002 Medium Load Member

May 25, 2011
    Tucson,az
    its this a pride transport thread or this is how you fix your teeth thread? ☼

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TooGroovy

TooGroovy Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2011
    igetaround
    It is a pride on your teeth thread as you work for Pride with pride on your teeth because your teeth don't hurt when you drive a truck for Pride and that gives you pride and which is good for Pride and that fills you with pride as you drive one of Pride's truck's which fills you with pride and makes you smile with your fixed teeth. I think...
    At all this, who knows... they may not hire me at Pride! WOULDN'T THAT BE A SHAME!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  4. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    I work for them and they are completely separate and different than CR England. Jeff is still there but it's pretty much an advisory role at this point. His son Jay is running it. If you know anything about the past between the two companies you'd realize there's pretty much zero chance they'd ever team up together.

As for leasing, they do offer leases but it's much more of a you have to go and find out about it rather than being told or pressured into it. I've never had a single person in the office try to bring up leasing a truck. There are only a few drivers leasing. Most I know that did it quit the lease within a month or two and still work there as company drivers.

It's like everywhere else, a lease is a lease and you better know what you're getting into. They do offer a breakdown sheet which shows you the estimated costs and revenue averaging 3000 miles a week. One of the drivers that was thinking about it showed it to me. They won't try to hide stuff from you. The profit line was the same amount I make a week as a company driver so I never saw the point. Most of the guys that do it are the "I want to refuse loads and go home whenever guys."

If you live in the SLC area you can see home quite a bit that isn't actually hometime. Many times you get sent out to wherever but the load coming back is a majority of the time back to SLC. Many guys that live up there will go home for the night after delivering or dropping the load at the yard then will come back in the morning. Pretty much every other reset I took was in SLC so you could easily go home for that as well. I don't live there obviously so I wasn't going home for a reset usually, but I actually spent quite a few nights at home in CA that wasn't "hometime." My friend who I used to team with gets quite a few resets here in CA once he went solo and I went local, I just never did when we were running team due to the freight lanes we were running. I've never had a single problem getting my actual hometime and even last week I had to fly to Indiana for a funeral and had no problems getting the next 5 days off to do it with zero notice.

CaptPeabody, Jarhed1964 and TooGroovy Thank this.
  5. TooGroovy

Nov 2, 2011
    igetaround
    Thanks DB! I figured it was going to take a while to get a response from an actual driver because of the size of the company. I understand they keep you real busy. Is that your experience?
    I live alone and need to beef up my retirement accounts so I plan to work 6 weeks and then take 4 or 5 days.
    I have a sister who lives South of LA... Do you know if they let you take home time and park the truck in the terminal they share in Cali ... if you live in SLC? (Silly question, I know - just curious).
    SO.... what was the story? Of course, I've noticed, I am probably the only one in this place who is a gossip.
    Thank you again!!!

6. DirtyBob

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    I always kept busy OTR for the most part. Had one real slow week but other than that it was running hard. I know everything slowed down pretty bad around the holidays but it seems to be picking back up. I'm local now with them so it's a bit different. It varies a lot local down here in the LA area. I'm about to start another team dedicated from CA to KY because the local hasn't really worked out well financially for me. 27,000 miles a month team is a lot more consistent.

Staying out 6 weeks at a time is what I always did. I usually took 6-7 days off straight every 6 weeks. They'll get you home a couple days every two weeks if that's your thing but personally I'd rather have long periods at home so I can get stuff done around the house and still get to actually relax.

They will let you take hometime other places. If you were to leave the truck in Mira Loma they'd have no problem with it. They don't require you to leave the truck at a terminal so it's pretty easy to take hometime other places. I always took my truck home even though I only live an hour or so from Mira Loma and they never had a problem with that either.

As for the story, it's not something grand really. Jeff split off from the other company as he didn't like where it was going. As someone mentioned they used to be called Pride of England. It was a lawsuit from his brother over at England that got the "of England" removed from the name. Family suing each other doesn't usually create the most cozy family situation. The only thing they do together is go in on fuel purchases to get a better deal by buying larger quantities at a time. It's not something they try to hide from drivers, they told us that in orientation.

Jeff was and is still a driver at heart. He still gets out and delivers loads once in awhile. It's not uncommon to see him walking around the SLC terminal wearing the company mechanic overalls working on one of his show trucks. He goes out of his way to say hello to his drivers. I've just been walking by in the office and he cut off the CFO and some other high up guy mid conversation just to say hi to me. He'll talk your ear off with trucker stories if he's not busy.

7. TooGroovy

Nov 2, 2011
    igetaround
    Thank Very MUCH!
    A week off every 6 weeks to ride my bike, eat steak, bet the ponies... (I never claimed I was smart!!!) sounds GREAT!! And... OBVIOUSLY, i CANNOT AFFORD MORE THAN 6 DAYS!!!!
    I would not mind doing team either with the right workaholic.., specially for the first couple of years while I learn the business --> might keep me from getting lost??? You think? Seriously, while not rocket science, there are a lot of details that can end up costing between 5 to 10k a year.
    Good thing about my situation, is -- no wife, no children, no life... so when its time, if I get the right partner, I am just going to park my car where he lives and take time when he takes time.

Attached Files:

8. DirtyBob

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    If you decide to go team, you have to find a partner yourself. They don't team people up. They're not too fond of partners that live in different places as hometime can be a problem. I will say though that the two of us actually took hometime at different times more than once and one would run solo while the other was at home. They wouldn't let you do it all the time like that but when it's needed they'll let you do it.

I don't think I'd run team with someone I didn't know beforehand personally. I run team with my best friend and I used to ride with him when he worked for another company before I got my license. We already knew we could handle each other in a truck all the time and we both know each other's work ethic. Plus he has 13+ years experience so I feel like I get "training" endlessly that most people don't. My trainer was good but my friend just knows small tricks of the trade that have made a big difference.

The team pay at Pride is much higher than starting out solo after you finish training. I believe they pay .25 cpm when you finish training then go solo and work your way up to .32 cpm? by the end of the first year. I got paid .36 cpm split or .18 cpm for every mile the truck moves after I finished training. As you get more experience the difference in pay between solo and team isn't nearly as large but will still always be more.

9. TooGroovy

Nov 2, 2011
    igetaround
    Wow, that's awesome that they don't squeeze the price down of the teams, a couple of hard workers that can coordinate their home times could rake it in!
    Well for me, it's all in the planning stages right now, because I still have to wait until they are done with me, probably July. It will also give me a chance to go through the time of overtime at my job and begin the experience with three weeks of paid vacations and money in my savings.
    The team thing... sometimes when the student is ready the right teacher appears... I'll leave it to the gods of trucking -- good thing, I am able to be very flexible in my part as to where to leave my car ( Cali) and when to take time off and as long as you don't ask some of my ex girlfriends I get a good rap as to get along. But Solo is nice too.
    There are other companies that offer more cpm 29 (Central and on and on), but they are dividing the freight between thousands of power units... sure, they have more freight, but -- that much more freight? I don't want to be sitting 4 days at a time and then driving 300 miles... as a normal thing to happen every 2 weeks... That will happen, I know, but once in a while -- I suspect a smaller company that has its act together is less likely to leave you sitting like that.
    Thank you for all the info.
    Next time you are coming to SLC, send me a pm and steaks are on me at the Lone Star. It will be my pleasure: I love that place and I get to pick your brain... take me up on it!
    P.S.: I also drive a car, don't get nervous!!!

10. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    just curious here. i got my cdl through central refrigerated but didnt stay very long at all. barely a week or two with a trainer but was just curious if pride would even look at me or just laugh off my application? just got my cdl in november

11. Bigdaddy00

Bigdaddy00 Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Nashville Transplant
    I checked out the website for pride, veru basic, lol

Anyone know their policy on Riders/pets and how much experience
    T hey require?

Thanks,

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.