PRIME Apprentince 6-26-12

Discussion in 'Prime' started by ledzeppelin, Jun 19, 2012.

1. noimage

noimage Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Newburgh, NY
    i find it absolutely AMAZING that you named the 2 trees.... You have my sense of humor.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    You'll have to learn how to handle heavy urban traffic - no matter who you drive for. Well, unless you drive for Bob the Farmer.

noimage Thanks this.
  4. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

Didn't I read a ways back that Prime doesn't do NYC? Something about 53' trailers being prohibited there.

5. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    They're fine on authorized truck routes in the city. Reefer doesn't deliver IN the 5 boroughs (flatbed does,) but we do go out to Long Is. So... who cares if you have to drive the Cross Bronx in rush hour? Its not any different than Atlanta, DC-Baltimore, Chicago, Dallas or LA. If you can't deal with driving a rig in these conditions you may as well not step up in the first place.

6. Danfromwindsor

Danfromwindsor Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Missouri
    NYC? Long Island? Where are those places lol. I stay off the ne due to high tolls high fuel and little parking. Ive yet to see a load that paid enough to make it worth my time and aggravation. Now if it was to pay $3-4 or more a mile to the truck then maybe. Maybe,lol.

7. Danfromwindsor

Danfromwindsor Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Btw,been there done that when I was younger so I paid my trucker dues lol

8. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Short trip lengths means a whole lot less in costs. High fuel costs? All depends on WHERE you buy your fuel - got to take advantage of the fuel tax rates. Tolls? Parking? Heh! Just gotta be smarter than the average bear up there... lots of roads that aren't tolled, and you don't have to spend the night at a truckstop.

9. ledzeppelin

ledzeppelin Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2012
    New York
    Want to start off with saying thank you to all the drivers who have helped me out on my post here. This forum has gone a long way. So have I ha. Now my question, when should my INTER AXLE DIFF be locked Nd when should it be unlocked. I'm aware of what it does. Thank you guys.

10. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Unlocked, and it's just like a limited slip differential on a car. One tire on pavement, the other on ice - the one on the ice spins 'n spins. When it's locked, the power is divided equally between the 4 sets of tires on your truck. So, if you don't have a airbag dump switch, its useful when you drop a trailer and a set of tires isn't quite on the pavement. Go over a deep rut at slow speeds, and you can get stuck with one axle spinning... lock your differential. Same on snow and ice... if you're having trouble maintaining traction, lock the differential.

Just remember to unlock it... those tires need to be at different speeds going around corners.

sage3, ledzeppelin and silenteagle Thank this.
  11. Roadopossum

Roadopossum Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Owners manual says do not operate above 30 mph while it is locked in

ledzeppelin and silenteagle Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.