Prime Inc driver thread

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by true122, Apr 28, 2011.

1. OpenRoadDreamer

OpenRoadDreamer Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Alabama
    What do you mean "truck requirements"?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BIF MALIBU

BIF MALIBU Heavy Load Member

May 21, 2010
    lake cushman wa
    what a load this industry has become
    page after page of fretting how to pay for this high priced cpap oxygen crap
    gotta get that oxygen to stay awake running 55mph all night
    5 years ago they werent sellin 2000 dollar machines to every one that signed on

4. Freezer Burn

Freezer Burn Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2012
    NYC, I heard that! In my former short career as a part-time driver for the entertainment industry I was dispatched to Manhattan. I was unwilling to bribe the guy who controlled the docks for a faster unload, so I sat....and sat....complained to the guy with the toothpick in his mouth, no good....sat some more. Missed the turn to the GW bridge on the way back out, spent some time turned around in Harlem, got a cop to lead me back out. Some gray hairs were born that day. Hope to stay way away.

5. Freezer Burn

Freezer Burn Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Like to know more about this CPAP deal. As in: there a cheap way (for us uninsured) to get tested? Any 'home' tests for probability? I am 6'3 weigh 225. Someone close to me (very close, right next to me) tells me I snore. Well hey baby, you snore too! Better get you hooked up! I did not always snore. Another thing is that so many drivers smoke, it seems. It would reason that the smokers experience much less oxygen intake? If you could just quit smoking (heresy, I know) might that help with apnea, or am I just ignorant on the topic? I wanna be safe, but I don't wanna shell out 55 a month for a machine either. And if I had to I s'pose I would, for the job.... ?

6. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Must less than 2 years old. Being 2012, you'd need a 2010 model-year tractor.

Medical science advances... 10 years ago sleep apnea wasn't even on your doctors radar screen unless you were at death's door. It takes a doctors order for them to sell you a 2000 dollar machine - or even for them to screen you for it, unlike some other carriers who test everyone.

This is the cheap way. Many clinics charge well over $3500 just for the test, and it can take months to get in. Then we'll talk about a couple thousand more for the machine, and even more for the follow-up care.

Freezer Burn Thanks this.
  7. Newtrucker83

Newtrucker83 Medium Load Member

Apr 15, 2012
    USA
    Freezer burn, I saw an ad two days ago on thetruckersreport home page for a at home sleep apnea test. It cost 345. They send you what you need for the test then you send it back to them and the interpet the results. They also except insurance if you have it.

8. chris4x4

chris4x4 Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Brady Texas
    In the fall I'm going to apply for primes cdl training program I was told I had to wait till I was ready to go to put in a application is this true I would like to make sure I get approved before I quit my job and sell my things I wont need for this job any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

9. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    Id think long and hard before you go this route.

Without knowing Freezerburn's physical characteristics at the possibility of getting flagged for a test at Prime, I can see your suggested route going a couple of different ways.

You take the home test, you fail, then you have a diagnosis. You are now on the hook for equipment and monitoring before you come to Prime. Prime Dr will require clearances and treatment notes from your doctor. Not to mention the cost of the equipment depending on your finances and insurance. Also you must have a machine that records your usage. It gets reported to Prime and you must maintain at least a 70 percent usage to maintain your DOT medical card. This report, at a minimum will be needed before Prime doc clears you. At worst, the doc will require the diagnosis, treatment, usage report, and medical clearance from the doctor of diagnosis that you got at home.

You could get this "home" diagnosis, ignore it, not report it to Prime and then still be on the hook to take the test at Prime if Prime's doctor order's one. Passing the test is still cheaper than the this home route, and I believe it is under $300. If you fail the Prime test, the cost is rolled into the entire package that includes the machine and monitoring service that is required. Plus its an interest free payment plan subtracted at $55 a week from your check.

Too many questions about this home test route, which means a greater chance at getting sent home. Not saying you can't do it, but you better know the steps to make sure that everything is in order and Prime's doc doesn't have a problem with it. Any hiccups and you might find yourself on a bus back home until you can straighten everything out.

10. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    I just want to re-iterate that this sleep test is not a scam.

There are many people who do not have the physical characteristics that trigger Prime's doc to order the test. The screening is a blanket screen on everyone who comes to Prime. Those that pass the screen are not required to take the test.

Ive also met at least a dozen different people who have had taken the sleep test and have passed without requiring the machine and treatment. Two of them were my trainees.

Lastly, I have benifited greatly from my own treatment. Yes, it can be a little annoying wearing the mask at first, however I can't be without it now when I sleep. I got a 96% usage on my last DOT physical. I sleep less, Im more rested when I do... and overall I feel better.

11. Newtrucker83

Newtrucker83 Medium Load Member

Apr 15, 2012
    USA
    So is it true that Primes doc no longer does the testing?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.