PRIME NEWBIES~Any comments from orientation?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Colonellookout, May 10, 2009.

1. BigDadd

BigDadd Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Scranton,PA
    That is really helpful, Thank You. If I bring home at least $500 a week, I'll be OK.

one37 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigDadd

BigDadd Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Scranton,PA
    I don't plan on eating like a king, and I don't plan on living on the advances in training, so looks like it should be OK. It's good to see some "real world" numbers. I figured it would be about $450-$460 take home. I too am married, so the withholdings should be about the same. I'm not changing careers for the money, but I need to make sure that the lights are still on and food is on the table while I'm not home!! The training pay is good, considering that they are paying me to go to school. Just not what I'm used to.

4. TinyToez

TinyToez Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Charlotte, TN
    One thing to remember too, if you have a trainer that wants to run, and the miles are there, you have a really good chance at hitting that cpm instead of the flat rate. My husbands trainer was what i call a truck stop cowboy, he planned his run based on what truckstop he wanted to get to, not by how many miles he wanted to accomplish each day. It was frustrating, but an eye opener too.

5. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Please note that Kendra's DH was doing his training in the middle of our "high tide" for freight. What you're seeing there is representative for when produce is shipping. This time of year with a trainer who "wants to run" or not, it is slower.

It takes adjusting to, but consider that during the first full two years I was running solo on the company side, I grossed above $47k.

18wheelsofsteel Thanks this.
  6. TinyToez

TinyToez Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Charlotte, TN
    So very true IP, but all but 2 of the weeks were at base rate (I was so hoping for the cpm, but no luck! lol )
    I really think the one thing that saved us was he did not take a bunch of advances, and to this day he does not.
    To this day, he only keeps $40 a week from the pay for groceries and expenses (he is a company driver, so not many truck expenses), the rest comes home. I buy "special" groceries for him and when he passes through i load the truck up. Just another way we "team" on this adventure!!

7. BigDadd

BigDadd Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Scranton,PA
    Either way, I'm hoping to get a trainer that wants to run. I think it is important to keep the advances to a minimum, and budget (and stick to it).

8. navyvet1994

navyvet1994 Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Old Orchard Beach, ME
    The Hormel meals are great except for one minor detail...Check out the salt (sodium) content in those things. Me I'm a big breakfast fan. Sandwiches will do me ok. I'm still waiting to hear from Prime. Filled out App saturday How long do they take??

9. BigDadd

BigDadd Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Scranton,PA

They got back to me within a week after I applied. It only took 2 days to get the checks done and then he called back and wanted me to start the next week. It seems to move quick once you get the call from recruiting.

10. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    Here are some training miles (team) I got with my last trainee last summer.

First couple weeks were slow start as my trainee was fresh out of a non Prime school(.10/$500)and he had to go home for a funeral. I cant give you the details on exactly what he was paid, but this gives you some milage numbers from late May to end of Sep.

2847 trainee home for funeral part of week
    3647 trainee home for part of week
    4164 (Where the .12/$600 kicked in for him as a non-Prime grad, I think)
    0 hometime
    0 hometime
    3345 partial week dropping off the trainee

Im of the mindset to try and get the load to the reciever asap and if we have to sit on the load, we do it near the reciever.

11. 18wheelsofsteel

18wheelsofsteel Light Load Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Swissconsin/Chicago
    Don't hesitate to call the recruiter line either, as it can expedite the process. After submitting my application, I just called the next day and was approved only days later. I have a GREAT recruiter and that's something few ppl have probably said, but even she hasn't recieved every email and voicemail I've left because she has so many applicants. There is nothing wrong with calling which is why the website gives the number at the end of the app, and it shows them you're actually interested in getting started.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.