Prime Reefer to Flatbed?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by IrreverentCrawfish, Apr 16, 2018.

1. IrreverentCrawfish

IrreverentCrawfish Light Load Member

Jan 31, 2017
    'Merica
    I'm currently a reefer driver at Prime. I started trucking fairly recently, and I'm a company driver right now. I've been thinking about going lease op in the reefer division, but my main issue with that is how noisy that stupid reefer is. I thought I'd get used to it eventually, but every day I have to listen to it costs me that much more of my sanity. I've thought about potentially moving to Prime's Flatbed division, but I'm wondering what life is like for a flatbedder and if I'm cut out for it. I'd appreciate it if some flatbedders would help me learn what I'd be getting into.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    It’s interesting, sometimes dirty, challenging, and sometimes physically demanding. Every load is different. Do u like those descriptions? If so, do flatbed!

417bigK and Highway Sailor Thank this.
  4. IrreverentCrawfish

Jan 31, 2017
    'Merica
    I like the idea of a challenge. How is it physically demanding? Is it the schedule? Or the actual work? As far as it being dirty, it can't be too much worse than reefer. Some of the slaughterhouses I pick up at are flat out nasty.

5. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Cats probably means the actual work. Tarps aren’t light. And throwing chain and binders have some weight to them too. I load out of a lot of steel places and see those guys a lot in a gravel lot, wind kicking up dust in August, ratcheting down. Dale Clay on YouTube has a good video blog going on flatbed every day life. As does Craig Ryan. Both of those men are with Maverick, however I’m sure some, if not a lot of it carries over. No unload appointments before Jesus wakes up and not having to deal with lumpers tho would be a mark in the “Pro” column I would think also!

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  6. IrreverentCrawfish

Jan 31, 2017
    'Merica
    That doesn't sound too bad. A bit of heavy lifting here and there will keep me in shape anyway.

IluvCATS and motocross25 Thank this.
  7. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Another thing I thought of that would be a huge benefit is no more washouts!!

skellr and IluvCATS Thank this.
  8. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Pulling a flatbed will not keep you in shape.

SAR, kylefitzy, Bud A. and 4 others Thank this.
  9. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah he’s right. You can get just as fat and out of shape doing flatbed by eating truck stop food. Also, I agree to watch Dale Clay for no-nonsense videos on flatbed. He’s by the book and I’ve watched him for information on how to do certain things. Flatbed pays more than other divisions but it has more responsibility. You need to secure everything and know how and how much. The tarps are heavy and sometimes it’s nearly impossible to get a 53’ load fully tarped in less than 2-3 hours. That’s hard work in the wind, cold, rain, heat, snow, etc.

It’s the only division I’ve worked in. I have actually never pulled a dry van before. I cannot see leaving flatbed. I cannot criticize Prime. I bet they are a good place to learn.

motocross25 Thanks this.
  10. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    No, it won't. And while it isn't a huge amount of hard work there is heavy lifting and short bursts of relatively hard work so if you are out of shape it can be really hard work.

kylefitzy Thanks this.
  11. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    You mean "fleece op".

Unless you work regionally and do more physical labour than driving, lol.

adayrider and IluvCATS Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.