Prime # slc

Discussion in 'Prime' started by CoJakes, Mar 6, 2011.

1. CoJakes

CoJakes Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Grand Junction Colorado
    Looks like I will head up to SLC for my orientation next week. My father (a trucker for 20 years) highly recommended Prime to me, and seeing the loyalty here in this forum it appears I am getting with a good outfit.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sazook

sazook Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Springfield, MO
    Welcome aboard!

CoJakes Thanks this.
  4. ronbo

ronbo Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2011
    yea thier great if you like someone holding your hand everyday. oh and dont forget the trucks only go 60ish.and dont forget the fact they never give pay raises instead they will pound you to go 55 mph and be a hazard on the roadway to make the xtra money. hometime? yea sure you can get it anytime you want but who is gonna pay your $1100 per wk fixed cost while your gone? and dont forget to get one of those one seater trucks that allow to carry over 45000lbs so prime makes more money,not you. and get ready to train cuz thats the only way to get ahead or team up. youll learn the hardway unless you find another company.the only one who makes money at prime is robert low. his horses live better then us.

AnotherObserver Thanks this.
  5. sazook

sazook Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Springfield, MO
  6. CoJakes

CoJakes Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Grand Junction Colorado
    I hear ya, that is why I am not going to lease anytime soon. Better to save up a good 70,000 (decent used) -200,000 (brand new w/bells and whistles)and get your own rig free and clear without interest or huge insurance (which a loan on a new rig would entail).

Only way they can get me into a lease contract is to show me that I am NOT buying them a truck. Which they cannot do. No I will run as a company driver. It makes absolutely no sense to be running a $4000- $6000 overhead a month and only take home $1500-3000 a mo.
    There is no logic in that.

Lets see here a brief comparison:

With plenty of driving and Diesel background (BOTH 10 years as a Mechanic in Army)but new CDL and 0 OTR.

o Werner: 6 weeks training # $355 a week, then $0.26 /mi
    o FFE: 6 weeks training # 455 a week, then $0.29 / mi
    o Crete: 6 weeks training # $500 a week then $0.31 or $0.32 /mi (after 1 years you move to 0.39 /mi, 3 years $0.40 /mi (best deal over the long term but they wont hire out of my town)
    o Prime 4 weeks training # $500 a week, then $600 a week until one tests out, then $0.33 /MI (second best deal long term and they hire in my town)

So Ronbo, which one would you pick?

7. CoJakes

CoJakes Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Grand Junction Colorado
    I hear that about Mr Low's horses. That is good, my own horses are more spoiled than I am.

8. eddennis1

eddennis1 Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2010
    quanah, tx
    Hmmm, i've been with prime for quite a few years (flatbed division), .40 cpm, good miles (3,000+ a week), get home when i want and a very good dispatcher. yea i drive a 60 mph truck and get 7.0+ mpg so i get my fuel bonus on a regular basis. You get out of any company what you put into it. Figure it out...

sgt slaughter Thanks this.
  9. CoJakes

CoJakes Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Grand Junction Colorado
    Your pic there, is that you doing a tail drop off a C-5?

10. ExplorerInGA

ExplorerInGA Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Would you say that Prime's flatbed division is a good place for someone new to start out? I signed up for it and am a little curious if maybe I should change to refrigerated or tanker.

11. dodge24v

dodge24v Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2010
    VA
    I just finished day 2 of orientation up here in Pittston Pa. So far, the only big surprise was that they are sending me out in Refer Div first to get more team miles. (get done with training sooner) Starting out as a C seat. Once I get the 60,000 done, i'll be back in to switch to an A seat and move over to flatbed side.

I'm game, refer's don't bother me, and I just want to get done with training.

CoJakes Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.