Prime vs. Knight for a new student?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by The_IE_909, Sep 1, 2014.

1. The_IE_909

The_IE_909 Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Redlands, CA
    Hello everyone, my name is Rob and I've been lurking around this forum for a few weeks. I am interested in attending paid CDL training and becoming a long haul driver.
    A little background, I am 25 years old and have been working in the retail industry for the past 10 years. I've been considering the future and I realize that I don't wan't to be 50 years old and still making minimum wage if I can help it. I'm not sure if I'll want to drive trucks for 40+ years either, but I'd like to drive for a minimum of 4 years and save as much money as possible to help me pursue future opportunities.
    After doing some research here on companies that provide training, room & board, and a job, I've narrowed my options down to either Prime or Knight. Prime seems to have a pretty good reputation on this forum, and while Knight is more of a mixed-bag, I haven't read anything too bad either.
    My main concern with Prime is that they don't seem to have any terminals near where I live, which is the city of Redlands, CA. The closest Prime location I could find is their Oxnard yard. This would be very inconvenient for my home time, being a 4+ hour drive in LA's crappy traffic.
    Knight on the other hand has a terminal in Fontana, which is very close and convenient to my home. I could literally get from the yard to my house in less than 20 minutes.
    My question is what company should I go with? Is the convenience of Knight overshadowed by the quality of Prime? I'm not even sure how home time works exactly, but I'm assuming that you drive to your home terminal, park your truck, and are then on your own for the 3-4 days off you get per month.
    Now, my home time isn't that critical to me, I have no wife or children. Although I'll miss my family at home, I can deal with only seeing them every couple of months. However, if I'm stuck in Oxnard or even Springfield, MO with Prime during my days off, am I essentially homeless for those days? Do they provide a dorm or do I pay for the local Motel 6?
    Knight or Prime? Or if you have better suggestions, please let me know, that's why I created an account here. P.S. Sorry for the length but I'm always reading that more detail equals a better answer so I'm hoping that what I've written will help you to help me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nic99

Nic99 Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2014
    North Carolina
    "My question is what company should I go with?" - The_IE_909

Only YOU can make this final decision, however you've definitely come to the right place to gain some insight.

Within this forum are company specific active threads hosted by current employees of the companies you are mentioning.

And you can always go directly to the horses mouth.

I've been considering a company based in Oklahoma for my OTR start and I'm registered in North Carolina.

It's been my observation that "home" time is based upon your residential address. Once you've been assigned a truck, you'll pretty much stay OTR until you've put in a request to come home. At that time, you're put into the cue for routing close to your "address".

There are no terminals near my house either, so I would be aiming for a secure place that I can park the truck that meets my company's approval.

I do have some limited experience in the industry and it seems many drivers are allowed to take their trucks home in this fashion.

I suppose each and every company has some resemblance of this.

Regardless, I hope to spend as much time as possible OTR because it's what I want to do. "Home is where the heart is", and for the first couple of years...I plan to have my "home" over the road.

Not having a wife or kids will certainly make this more doable.

I wish you good luck and Godspeed..

The_IE_909 Thanks this.
  4. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    If I were you I'd go with Prime, as a noob you can earn .42CPM right away in one of their smaller tractors.
    Where else can you earn that much right away? nowhere.
    Call Knight and ask them if they'll match Prime's pay and see what they say.

The_IE_909 Thanks this.
  5. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Prime uses a drop yard in Fontana... for home time you'd drop the trailer there and I'm sure security would insist you park the tractor there too.

The_IE_909 Thanks this.
  6. Grimmreefer

Grimmreefer Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2014
    WA
    I have been at Prime for 10+ years, with all companies they have their faults. I started a lease purchase for 2.5 years and saved $10,000 to put down for an Ace Lease, and paid it off in 3 years.
    now I'm on the second Ace Lease and not being an idiot and saving for future repairs. I cannot speak about the company side other then you are in a good dedicated freight area.

I live in WA and the closest yard is SLC, when you go home you will have to drop the trailer at a shipper or receiver with a secured lot. Fontana is great for your location.

The last few years my avg take home .46 cpm, that is with $909 lease payment that will be done in 7 months. After that I go up to .72 cpm.

The best advice is run with the freight they dispatch, I have turned down maybe 4 loads in 10 years due to the North East. This is the part of the country I will not go. Another is lots of people are always complaining to their fleet manager about stupid things, this get you nowhere but put at the bottom of the list as a driver that makes this Fleet Manger no money. and the big one is get good fuel mileage, you will not make it as a lease getting bad MPG.

The_IE_909 Thanks this.
  7. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Glad ta have you aboard Grimreefer!

8. Grimmreefer

Grimmreefer Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2014
    WA
    Thanks, I know how lost I was when I started looking at carriers. LOL

PikesPeak Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Prime & Knight are both OK. Prime may be a little better pay wise in the beginning.

KKW Trucking in Pomona has a CDL training program.
    One driver posted they hired him without a CDL and will give him OJT.
    Don't know how accurate this is, but you can call and ask.

10. The_IE_909

The_IE_909 Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Redlands, CA
    Thanks for your help so far everyone. It seems I should be able to set my "home" as Fontana even with Prime then? If anyone else would like to advise me as to one company vs. the other, please do. Thanks again, I appreciate all of this forum's advice from experienced drivers.

11. TracyN

TracyN Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Texas
    As a previous Prime driver, I have to agree with Ironpony above. They have a drop yard in Fontana so home time shouldn't be an issue. As for us, we live in Texas and Prime doesn't have a yard anywhere near us. They would usually just get us a load to a Walmart about 45 miles away and we would drop our load there and bobtail home. Then reverse the process when it was time to head out again. Not having a yard or terminal near our home was never an issue and you shouldn't have an issue with it either.

The_IE_909 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.