Prime's Blood Pressure Policy

Discussion in 'Prime' started by brink, Sep 6, 2012.

1. brink

brink Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2012
    How strict is Prime with their blood pressure policy? I checked mine yesterday at a Walgreen's on one of those electronic gizmos.It was 133/80...today it was 140/88

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mumbles6978

mumbles6978 Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2011
    New York
    the scoop is this....cant be over 140 / 90. if you come up higher they will give you another chance the following day....no food after 8pm the night before, up until after the test...only drink water until after the test....no caffeine, no cigarettes...

Golabraun Thanks this.
  4. mumbles6978

mumbles6978 Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2011
    New York
    any questions about prime's orientation from start to finish feel free to ask me...i did their orientation twice recently

5. pilottravel2002

pilottravel2002 Medium Load Member

May 25, 2011
    Tucson,az
    Best advice dont drink coffee or smoked before test,or night before.

6. techman

techman Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Boonsboro MD
    I found that the ones in stores are naturally high. They were reading the same as yours for me. I bought one for myself and it was reading 126/76 about the same as at the doctors. But to be sure have a nurse at a local hospital or urgent care check it for you.

7. Luin

Luin Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Start watching how much salt you take in daily ASAP!! I was also worried about the high blood pressure and started on sept 3rd on how much salt I ingested. Almost everything that is canned, boxed, or package has salt in it, so be careful and start checking the back on how much sodium the product you eat or drink has. I have also limited my calories to about 2000-2500 a day.

Last friday night I checked my blood pressure and it was 118/73!! Little more info on me... Im 6'2" and weigh roughly 305lbs.

I downloaded a app on my android called "My Fitness Pal". You can put in the food you eat when you eat it and it will count up all the calories and other useful things you want to keep track of when eating better. You can set it up to where what your goals are and it will tell you after you entered the end of the day items where you "may" weigh within a certain amount of time you pre set if you eat like you just did in that day. Very cool program, it makes me think twice on eating wrong cause all the numbers are right there for ya.

8. DragonTamerBrat

DragonTamerBrat Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2011
    It's not "Prime's" policy, it's DOT's. And anything over the maximum = no med card until you see your doc and get it down. (yes, you get a 2nd chance the next day.)

darthanubis Thanks this.
  9. TooSlow4Words

TooSlow4Words Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I realize this is an old post, however it seems to be mistaken. It is in fact Primes policy. Dot policy is under 140/90 for semi-annual physical (every two years). 140-159 systolic and 90-99 diastolic is certifiable for an annual physical. 160-179 systolic and 100-109 diastolic can still qualify for a one time 3 month med cert which must be brought down to be re-certified.

I'm awaiting clarification from my Prime recruiter about the 140/90 Prime policy. Far as I can tell Prime is holding their drivers to a higher than DOT standard. Not that that's a bad thing, if you're BP is high (over 140/90 is stage one hypertension) you should no doubt take action. Wether that means lifestyle and dietary changes or developing a treatment plan with your Dr is another story.

I suspect many with borderline BP issues tend to shy away from BP meds and instead intend to address the issue through eating better and maybe losing some weight. It's surprising how quickly changes can manifest with simply eliminating fast food and high sodium packaged foods.

If prime makes exceptions about the 140/90 policy I'd love to know. Apparently not from what I gather.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  10. moose97

moose97 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Hoagland, IN
    No exceptions. < 140/90 or you go home. Yes, you will get a second (and even third) chance, but after that, better buy yourself a bus ticket.

11. TooSlow4Words

TooSlow4Words Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Man that's a tough policy. I tested 137/89 a couple days ago. I've been pretty strictly watching my sodium intake for about two weeks now. Should be in passable shape by then. I'm determined to kick this things ### without meds.

I'd just about kill a drifter for a French fry and a bite of cheeseburger. Even going to have to forgo my favorite bacon and onion pizza I'd hoped to have before leaving St Louis Saturday. Dang I was looking forward to that...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.