Printer scanner for truck suggestions?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Wallace, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Broken Spoke

Broken Spoke Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Tucson Arizona
    Yes it does! I recommend buying extra paper I buy a case at a time so I will never run out ( you get a discount when buying a case instead of just a 100 sheet packet.) The cost per copy is 4 cents a sheet that's less then a ink or toner copier when you add the cost of paper and ink together. I considered it cost effective for my use anyway. The paper is nice quality not thin and cheep more like office quality letter paper. I have left sheets of this paper on the seat in the hot sun with no bad effect. And so far my copies have remained bold and clear with no fading at all. The company that makes the paper claims the copy image will not degrade for 7 years Its also nice not having to deal with the mess and smell ink and toner can cause in the truck! I also don't miss the expense and hassle of running to the store to get ink cartridges filled or finding out they don't have the right printer cartridge for my printer in stock. I order my paper online and have it shipped to my home no charge. I also store scanned documents in the laptop as well as the external hard drive so I can recover and print any documents over again in the future if I need to. The model scanner produces beautiful photo quality scans every detail comes out Cristal clear no matter how small

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Your company has to sign up for it.

4. statikuz

statikuz Medium Load Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Reno Nevada
    They must be signed up for it then - don't have a scanner with me but it allows you to import PDFs, etc. so I sent them some blank pages and it appeared to go through successfully. Doesn't take a wizard to figure out your Fleet ID and that's all it seemed to care about!

5. Broken Spoke

Mar 22, 2010
    Tucson Arizona
    I wanted to update others regarding this equipment. I am happy to report all this stuff in this kit has worked without one problem. I use all of this about 3 hours each day. In short if you are looking for a whole office in a briefcase THIS IS THE ONE!

6. stocktonhauler

stocktonhauler Medium Load Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Stockton, C
    I also use an HP multi-function printer--the J4680. It has wireless functionality, and the cartridges have worked well as long as I continue to print on at least an occasional basis when taking time off at home. I put velcro on the bottom so that it sticks to a shelf, and I remove the plastic paper tray to keep it from getting damaged while traveling.

Unfortunately, it doesn't easily communicate with my iPhone, so I have to use my laptop to transfer documents to and from the iPhone using a special printer app that can receive and send them as e-mail attachments.

I gave up the internet fax number ($10 p/month was too expense for a service rarely used) and require brokers to send and receive e-mail attachments. I can receive confirmations, print them out, sign, scan, and return by e-mail attachments, typically in 100dpi rez pdf files. I also store these documents electronically, just in case the dog eats the originals.

But, I need advice about setting up a 4g wifi network in my truck.

I have an Acer 10" netbook on my dashboard that has Co-pilot and spreadsheet documents for keeping track of expenses from the driver's seat (see YouTube for a cool video about my ABS plastic netbook truck mount), but I also have an iTouch, iPhone, and 15" Map laptop in the truck that I want more unified within an in-truck network.

Any ideas about best equipment and service with the 4g world?

7. popmartian

popmartian Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    This may help ! WPAN Wireless Personal Access Network via a access point and windows networking with wep encryption using standard 802.11 b or g is more cost effective for routers/networking in a mobile application like your Big truck. Hardware Compatibility issues limits access to 4g networks.

You can purchase a wireless router and install it on the laptop for less than 50 bucks. Everything else connects to the network via wi-fi access point. Bluetooth is another option but may not be as compatable with standard all in one combo printers. When designing a network your access point will determine what hardware you can add. Apple uses the same 802.11 b/g technology so your I-phone and I-pad are compatable Microsoft Windows networking and other Wi-Fi Networks at coffee shops and truck stops. Others may see your network if within range. I suggest using a encrypted connection to prevent prying eyes from seeing your data or accessing your laptop. There ar Zillions of Tech sites to help get you started, but the first step is to determine what the network will be used for and then buy the hardware to implement it. There are new products coming avalable to allow multi users to gan 4 g access via a hub. This is a shared connection with Phones ( like 4 commuters in a mini-van all downloading from one user with a 4 g Network like Sprint). That type of Hub may have issues accessing a Laptop running some versions of Windows.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  8. Broken Spoke

Mar 22, 2010
    Tucson Arizona
    Its been some time now since I have been using this set up. I am happy to report I have had NO PROBLEMS with this system. I still am recommending this to drivers for all your trucking business needs!

9. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    So far I've gotten a little more than three years use out of a Lexmark 3400 which I bought from Walmart as a demo unit. I think I paid $40.

I live in the land of 40 below and this has not been a problem.

bbechtel16 Thanks this.
  10. Broken Spoke

Mar 22, 2010
    Tucson Arizona
    This set up is still working GREAT!

11. HD_Renegade

HD_Renegade Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    Thank you for taking the time to post this.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.