Probably A Dumb Question...But

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Maria Joseph, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Maria Joseph

Maria Joseph Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2012
    TN
    I was parked in a travel plaza earlier and my vehicle was slightly damaged by a new Swift driver, who has less than 1 year of semi driving experience. He had missed the truck entrance and was trying to turn around and...oops. The van isn't badly damaged, doesn't have any mechanical damage and so on. I'm not really happy about the damage even though my vehicle's an older one but I know that the Swift driver was new and felt bad enough about it. I actually feel worse for the Swift driver since he was really shaken up over the incident.

I saw it happen, and naturally the Swift driver did. Another (obviously more experienced) semi driver saw it and walked over, and got out of his truck to guide the Swift driver out of the 4-wheeler parking area. Nobody else saw it happen or if they did, weren't bothered enough to call the police or come over and ask about it.

The incident wasn't reported to anyone, and I don't plan on reporting it to my insurance. My question is: Would this driver get into a lot of trouble for his mishap had I insisted on filing an accident report?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    Probably would.Could depend on his record. He would have more problems if he neglected to tell the company, and you filed a report. I have done the same thing you did, and have had others do the same for me when I nicked them. Circumstances dictate procedure.

Maria Joseph Thanks this.
  4. road runner 9630

road runner 9630 Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Yup. Depends on if its his first or not. But..... As a driver all accidents are supposed to be reported period. If trailer shows any paint or scratch and the next driver to pull it reports the damage to the company, the guy who hit you will be getting questioned.

5. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    He will be fired for failing to report an accident if his qualcomm matches your report and location.

Typical mega knee jerk, from the files.....

JMO

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i don't think i'd even bother reporting it. if i worked for the company and had to pull a trailer that was damaged.

i'm sure it's not hte only trailer the company owns that is damaged.

7. garage goat

garage goat Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Florida
    If the damage is really minimal then I would say, Screw it and go on. The other driver will probably say he cought a pole backing up. He sounds like he was real scared and needed a break.

8. DealBreaker

DealBreaker Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2012
    You would as well. After not filing one then filing one .
    Its troublesome to say the least and chicken #### at best .
    You let him or her go then its on you ..
    take responsibility you are either going to report it right then and there or not .
    two weeks later ohh some dude hit it,, wont cut it ..
    There is no grey area ..
    Your company policy will most likely have its own wording .
    Tiny scratch is one thing a hole in your trailer or cab is another .
    be safe

9. Maria Joseph

Maria Joseph Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2012
    TN
    Thanks for all of the replies. I'm not going to bother reporting it to my insurance company since the car is 10+ years old and I can probably find the part I need in a scrap yard anyhow. From what I understood speaking with the Swift driver, it sounded like this was the first time he had done anything like this so no reason for me to get him in trouble over it. He didn't have any damage to the semi since when a semi goes up against a car, the semi wins 100% of the time :)

Hopefully this new driver doesn't have anymore mishaps like this. I appreciate everyone's input.

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I certainly respect you for your decision.

11. ddieseldan

ddieseldan Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2012
    SASKATOON SK
    I had two accidents with swift
    1) swift cut off four wheeler in front of me causing a accident on I80 in Nv. swift didn't yield on farm ramp onto interstate, he ran, tried to stop him, he kept going, filed with police he was lucky there was no damage
    2) I was backed in too by a swift truck driver never reported accident
    they are self insured even with police reports they did't pay. I posted backed into accident video on utube
    go after them and good luck:biggrin_2552:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.