Problem with Cummins N14

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by WildHog, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Toot burley

Toot burley Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Got a question,is their a problem when the n14 gets hot ,it sound like a cam r a lil knock be in it,somebody told me that it wasn't a knock just how it sound ,asking somebody who be dealing withem for a while,im new to the n14

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. codyg

codyg Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2018
    I got a problem with a international 5000 with Cummings n14 engine warning light is on u Rev it up stop engine light comes on hooked code reader to it says crank sensor changed the crank sensor and has same problem and same code took the wire harness apart no broken wires everything seems fine cleaned all sensor conectors on that side of engine nothing changed has anyone had a similar problem

4. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Drive it around for awhile and see if the code clears or have the code cleared.

5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    cam sensor.jpg
    I keep changing cam sensors every half year and the last one only lasted two days. Sensor is soaked in oil only after few minutes of engine running all the way to oring. Is my harness bad or is it something else going on?

6. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Are you buying them from the same source? I had a problem with my apu,it turned out to be that I got two bad fuel filters from the same dealer.

7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    No, different places, but all original Cummins sensors. Something is not right with my truck, I don't think it's sensors

8. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    What is it doing?

9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Intermittent 1 second long shutoffs, then one injector failed, then I changed few others, still runs rough and misfires at start after sitting for some time, but starts running better once it's warm.
    The local electronic well respected diagnostic guy says I need to change the ECM. The guy who sells ECM's says it's not the ECM, it's the harness.
    Basically a little mystery is going on here

10. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I’d take a hair dryer and heat up the ecm and see if it makes a difference. If not maybe start with the pass thru connectors and work back down the harness.

DUNE-T Thanks this.
  11. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Hmm, never thought of checking out the ecm that way, thanks, I will try it out if changing harness does not help.
    I dropped off the truck at a shop yesterday to install the new injector harness (comes with pass through connectors and all other sensors connections). Figured it wouldn't hurt, since the one one on the truck most likely is still original.

062 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.