Problems hooking to older Cummins ecms…

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by High Stepping, May 23, 2024.

1. High Stepping

High Stepping Light Load Member

Oct 29, 2020
    Mississippi
    My friend has Cummins Insite and a Nexiq USB 2 adapter. He’s tried hooking to two older trucks with a 6 pin connector with no luck. One engine was a N14 Celect Plus and the other was a M11 Celect. It won’t work, even if he tries a J1708 connection. It hooks up fine on 1999 or newer 6 and 9 pin Cummins engines. Does he need a Cummins Inline adapter or a special cable? Can someone point me in the right direction?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Shouldn't need anything else. Has he checked to make sure wiring is good at the plug? Power, ground, and data? Pretty simple to check

BoxCarKidd and High Stepping Thank this.
  4. High Stepping

Oct 29, 2020
    Mississippi
    Yes. He even tried hooking to the 6 pin right by the ecm. I was told that the newer firmware and drivers could be different on the usb link 2. They might not support the older protocols.

5. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    The plug is OBD 1?

6. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I have ran across some from that era that required my Pro Link of that era to have the extra plug put in the plug for the lighter.
    Picture of your plug? My newer scan tool will not talk to them.

Big Road Skateboard Thanks this.
  7. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I remember that 12v power supply harness in the Pro Link box. Don't think I ever needed it to connect to anything, but we only had Detroit and CAT cartridges, and soon got ET after I started, so basically only used for Detroit.

I bought the Diesel Laptops toughbook in 19, and upgraded it to the smaller toughbook in 23. Both have had no issues hooking up to anything. Though I hardly use it nowadays.

J.R. and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  8. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    With at least some trucks the old Pro Link would close the program it you turned off the key. Then you would have to restart and all you previous info was lost. If the other power plug was in you did not have to start over.
    An N14 recently would not talk to my Diesel Laptop but it would work with the old Pro Link if the extra power cord was plugged in. Told the owner he probably had issues with the wiring - power to diag connector. He got a code for a sensor and left.
    How do you like the 23? Do you do any off road stuff?

9. High Stepping

Oct 29, 2020
    Mississippi
    It’s just the standard 6 pin gray plug. I wonder if there’s another adapter plug that I need? They have the older style powered adapter for Cummins engines on the Nexiq website.

10. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    I have ran into some that would only connect with Cummins Inline 5/6. Nexiq usb was no go

Also assuming all wiring is ok

11. High Stepping

Oct 29, 2020
    Mississippi
    That’s what we’ve had issues with. I’m wondering if the older usb 1 would work, too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.